Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


High Wycombe and Bourne End Golf Club.

The High Wycombe and Bourne End Golf Club was inaugurated in October 1904. The initial nine-hole course was laid out by James Sherlock the professional of the Oxford University Golf Club.

From the South Bucks Standard  Friday 8th December 1905 -  The AGM reported that Earl Carrington had been elected President. J H Turner (later pro at the club) was 'grounds-man'. The full article on the AGM as follows:- 

 

High Wycombe and Bourne End Golf Club, Bucks. Report on the AGM in December 1905.

 

 

The club held what the local press decided was 'a most interesting match' in April 1906 when the club's professional J H Turner took on J Sherlock, then Oxford University's professional, and R McKenzie, Lord Burnham's professional for a purse of 10 guineas funded by private subscription, Sherlock being the winner. 

An additional nine-holes were added in the spring of 1907. John Turner, the High Wycombe and Bourne End professional, laid out the extra holes.

On Saturday 9th May 1908 Earl Carrington, President of the High Wycombe and Bourne End Golf Club performed the opening ceremony of the new pavilion and clubhouse at Flackwell Heath which was erected at a spot about 300 yards from Loudwater station at a cost of over £1100. The club had a membership of over 200 at the time.

The club had been renamed Flackwell Heath Golf Club by 1908.