Newport Pagnell Golf Club, Bucks.
The following interesting article appeared in the Northampton Mercury on Friday July 18th 1890 “On Saturday a sweeping reformation was made in the appearance of the Bury Field. This field which affords great advantage for all recreative sports has hitherto been allowed to cultivate thistles to an alarming extent. Mr B Shakeshaft, together with several other farmers of the neighbourhood, recognising its importance to the town from a recreative point of view, wisely decided to destroy the thistles, and several men were accordingly sent to remove them. The field, which now presents a most respectable appearance will, it is reported, be the headquarters of a golf club, which, it is expected, will be formed soon”
It was actually listed as being founded 1908.
Below is the result of a match played in July 1909 at Bletchley Golf Club (also now defunct) against Newport Pagnell Golf Club.
|Bletchley Golf Club||Newport Pagnell Golf Club|
|Rev S G Finley||0||E L Warman (6&4)||1|
|Dr C J Deyns (5&4)||1||G F Trimmer||0|
|H N Clode (half)||0||H A Middleton (half)||0|
|Dr Harvey (2up)||1||Geo Tayler||0|
|T G Lamb (2up)||1||M Warren||0|
|H Swainson Ackroyd (3&1)||1||F W Taylor||0|
|Dr S C H Moberly (5&4)||1||H P Parton||0|
In 1914 the secretary was F W Taylor, 4 High Street and the assistant secretary C H Glanville, High St, Newport Pagnell. The professionals were H G Daniels (1912 to 1914) E A Allen (1914 to 1917). A 9 hole course with a membership of 100. The entry’ fee for gents was 10/- there was no entry fee for ladies. Subs were £1 for all grades. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 2/6 a week. There was no restriction for Ladies and there was no Sunday play. The station was 3 minutes away.
In 1923 the secretary was Thomas Addison, London Joint City & Midland Bank, High St, Newport Pagnell and the professionals H Aitkin (1921 to 1923) E J Ariss (1923/4). Membership of 85. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6 a day and 5/- a week. Local hotel was the Swan.
The club disappeared about 1927 when the secretary was K McLaren, 93 High St, Newport Pagnell and the greenkeeper A G Haughton. Membership had dropped to 60.