St Ives Golf Club, Hunts.
Golf was first played on a short course in St Audrey’s Lane. In October 1922 it was announced that it was planned to have a nine hole golf course on the edge of town on a site known as Brick Hills. A rather basic course came into being quite quickly, upkeep of the course being carried out by willing volunteers with the help of grazing animals to keep the grass in check.
During WW2 the course was used by the Home Guard for training purposes. Following the war the Huntigdon County Golf Club closed (see separate entry) and many of its members joined St Ives Golf Club. There were many changes to the St Ives course and clubhouse following the war, it was always hoped to extend the course to 18 holes but finding extra land was always a problem.
Location of the former course (below), grid reference TL30320,71990, co-ordinates 530320,271990.
In 2010 the club moved to a new 18 hole course at Giffords Farm near Needingworth.