Huntingdon County Golf Club, Cambs.
A 9 hole course with a SSS of 70 founded 1888/92. The station at Huntingdon was ½ mile away. The local hotel was the George, in the centre of town, which was just three minutes from the golf course. Sunday play was not permitted until the mid 1920s.
Professionals in the early years; J Dart, 1892-94; W Seaman, 1894/5; H Randall, 1896/7; W Seaman, 1897/8.
Below is the result of a match played at North Beds Golf Club, Biggleswade (also now defunct), on March 30th 1892.
|North Beds Golf Club||Huntingdon Golf Club|
|Mr Guy Pym||7||Captain D A Kinloch||0|
|A Hughes||0||Mr Fitzherbert||4|
|J Duberly||0||Dr Good||2|
|Dr Cromatie||3||Mr Sweeting||0|
|Major Pearson||0||J Conder||3|
|J Hughes||0||Captain H Kinloch||1|
Result of a home match played against Burghley Park in November 1895.
|C B Moneypenny||0||W L de B Thorold||5|
|P Payne||0||H M Bell||4|
|A C Sweeting||5||H B Waite||0|
|General G Bevan||1||H V Iggulden||0|
|J P Maule||0||R Wyche junr||4|
In 1900 the secretary was A C Sweeting, Ambury House, Huntingdon.
In 1905 the secretary was G E D Brown, and the professional, W Worton. Membership of 80. Entry fee 10s/6d and subs £2/2s. Amateur record, 35; Visitors' fees 5/- a week.
Below is the result of a match played at Huntingdon against Belton Park in March 1908.
|Huntingdon County Golf Club||Belton Park Golf Club|
|E B Winch||1||W E Thompson||0|
|F G Green||0||F W Thompson||1|
|G E D Brown||1||G M Thompson||0|
|C F S Green||0||H C Tointon||1|
|H Coote||1||W Church||0|
|Howard Coote||1||W S Brown||0|
|E B Winch and F G Green||1||W E Thompson and F W Thompson||0|
|G E D Brown and C F S Green||1||G M Thompson and H C Tointon||0|
|H Coote and Howard Coote||1||W Church and W S Brown||0|
The competition for the golf cup, open to residents in the county or Hunts Golf Clubs, presented by H and C H Coote, was played on Wednesday 15th April 1909. It was won by J Johnson with a score 170 for 36 holes, there was a tie for second place between G Desborough and S E Armstrong with 173, in the play off Mr Armstrong won, he also won the prize for the best 18 holes with a score of 81.
Below is the result of a match played at Belton Park in November 1910.
|Rev H M Cooper||0||N G Flawn||1|
|W S Brown||1||P C Tomson||0|
|F S Cannell||1||E H Harrison||0|
|F W Whipple||0||J G Green||1|
|C H Hickson||0||Rev A T Thompson||1|
|H Ward||1||F D Veasey||0|
In 1914 The club had a membership of 100. Entry’ fees were £1/1/0 and subs £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- for nine holes, 1/6 a day and 5/- a week.
In 1923 membership was 80. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 7/6 a week and £1/1/0 a month.
In the early 1930s, membership at this time was 120.
In 1940 the course had a SSS of 70 and a membership of 60. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round and there was a licensed clubhouse.
|1905-14||G E D Brown||W Worton (p&g)|
|1906||G E D Brown, Huntingdon.||W Worton|
|1914||J G Green||W Worton|
|1923||J H Howgate, The Grammar School, Huntingdon.||E B Steer (p) J W Watts (g)|
|1925-30||H Woodcock (g)|
|1930s||J H Howgate||E H Woods (g)|
|1940||P A Charles, "White Willows", Hartford Road.||J Crowe (g)|
Huntingdon County Golf Club did not appear after WW2.