Ashbourne Golf Club, Derbyshire.
The club was founded in 1886. The original six-hole course was laid out near the Dovedale Hotel in a remote spot on the edge of the Peak District. In 1909 the club moved to a nine-hole course at Hollies Farm, Clifton. In 1928 the club acquired a further 38 acres of land at Lodge Farm and the course was re-designed by James Braid. The fourth hole on the course was based on the seventeenth at St Andrews “The Road Hole” The course was later re-designed by Frank Pennick although the year he carried out his work is yet to be confirmed.
In the Kelly’s Directory of 1912 the Ashbourne & Dove Valley Golf Club in the village of Clifton appears, the entry reads "Here is a golf club, established in 1910, with a 9 hole course and pavilion." Hon secretary was Rev Frederick Clifton Smith, MA. Kelly's also has a golf professional listed living in Clifton - Joseph Frederick Stenson.
Following WW2 the secretary was E R Sly, 112 The Green Road, Ashbourne, telephone 337. The greenkeeper was J Harrison. The nine hole course had a Par and SSS of 76. The station at Clifton was three minutes away. Visitors’ fees on introduction were; 2/6 a day, 7/6 a week and 15/- a month. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.
In the mid 1950s and early sixties the secretary was R E Job, Home Farm, Clifton, telephone 69. The greenkeeper was W Holland. Membership of 150. The total length of the course was 4548 yards the SSS was now 65. Visitors’ fees on introduction were; 3/6 a day, 15/- a week and £1 a month.
In the 1964 Golfer’s Handbook the club was stated to have been founded in 1910; presumably this was when it moved to Holllies Farm. The secretary was N P A James and the greenkeeper W Holland. The club had a membership of 250. The SSS was now 62.
From the late 1960s and into the 1980s /1990s the secretary was still N P A James. The club had a membership of 350 during this time. The (nine hole) course had a total length of 5,388 yards with a Par of 68 and a SSS of 66. Visitors’ fees in the late 1980s were; £6 during the week and £8 at weekends.
During the 1990s the club was listed as being founded in 1886, 1902 and 1910.
The green fees in 1998 were; £14 weekdays and £18 at weekend.
The club moved to its current location in May 1999.