Chesterfield & District Golf Club.
The club was founded in 1897.
The original nine-hole course was located in Somershall Park.
The club was referred to as both Chesterfield & District Golf Club and Chesterfield Golf Club in the early years.
The secretary at the club in the late 1890s was John H W Jeudwine, Baslow Road, New Brampton, Chesterfield.
There was a good turnout of players for a handicap competition played in April 1898. The winner was Mr E Swanwick (3); runner-up was Mr Peacock (36).
Result of the February 1900 monthly medal, there were seven entries; T B Springett, 113-14-99; F Swallow, 119-18-101; J Jeudwine, 115-14-101; A G Naylor, 112-7-105; H A Sanders, 125-20-105; F Edmunds, 133-28-105.
As can be seen from the map below there was a lot more "open space" in the Somershall Park area in the late 1890s. Unfortunately the golf course is not marked on the map
Result of the March 1900 monthly medal. It was reported that "the winner's score being exceptionally good for the long course"; A G Naylor, 99-7-92; J Jeudwine, 112-14-98; H Peacock, 133-24-109; F Edmunds, 138-28-110; W W Jeudwine, 136-20-116.
Result of a match played on Wednesday 5th June 1901 at Hallowes and Dronfield Golf Club.
|Hallowes & Dronfield Golf Club||Chesterfield Golf Club|
|T W Quine||3||E D Swanwick||0|
|W Candlish||3||F Swallow||0|
|J Whittaker||1||C J Didham||0|
|J H Harrison||0||J Springett||2|
|A R Osborne||0||J Jeudwine||3|
|C C Baggalry||7||F Edmunds||0|
|R G Prestwich||10||H M Peacock||0|
|T E Shuttleworth||8||G F Barnes||0|
The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Chesterfield & District Golf Club; Instituted 1897; Membership of 80; Hon. secretary - T B Springett, Chesterfield; Entrance fee nil and subs £1/11s/6d, ladies 10/6; Nine-holes.
The following report appeared in the Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald on Saturday 11th November 1905 - The Chesterfield Golf Club contemplate moving from their present course to more suitable ground near the Blue Stoops, in the parish of Walton.
The Chesterfield Golf Club moved to its current location in 1906.
The Google Map below shows the location of the former course.