Matlock Bath & District Golf Club, Derbyshire.
On Tuesday 1st October 1901 a meeting was held at the New Bath Hotel to discuss the new golf club project. Col Cantrell Hubbertsty laid before the meeting a proposal by which he would provide links on a 100 acre estate in Matlock Bath, on the hills, and lay out the nine hole course at his own expense, providing that the town finds a club to use it. It was hoped there would be a first class course in place by next summer.
On Saturday 10th May 1902 the new nine hole course of the Matlock Bath & District club was informally opened. There was a large attendance of members and their friends at the opening. These included, Mr H M Peacock, captain, Mr A R Doar, treasurer and Mr F C Lymm, secretary. The captain opened the links with Mr Broome hitting the opening drive. All were unanimous in the admiration of the course and the surrounding scenery - some of the finest in Derbyshire. Much credit was due to Mr Cross, the professional, for the manner in which he had laid the course out in such a short time. Sunday play was allowed without caddies. The station at Matlock Bath was 1 mile away. Local hotels were the New Bath, Royal, Devonshire and the Royal Hydro.
In July 1904 the first clue as to the exact location of the course. Mr H Loveday presented a prize to be competed for by the ladies section and played over the course at Masson. Scores as follows; Miss Brooker won with a net 70, Miss Howe, 72; Miss Ryder, 72; Mrs Fox, 74 and Mrs Lymm, 78.
In 1906 course records were amateur the Reverend A T Humphreys with a score of 38 and professional P Knight (no score recorded). Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month.
Below is the result of a club match played at Tideswell on May 28th 1910.
|Mr Howard||1||Mr Lymm||0|
|Mr Parke||0||Mr Gilbert||1|
|Mr Brightmore||1||Mr Boden||0|
|Mr Wilson||1||Mr Spud||0|
|Mr Cheetham||1||Mr Broom||0|
|Mr Howe||1||Mr Stair||0|
|Mr Chamberlain||0||Mr Ashover||1|
|Mr Boul||1||Mr Butcher||0|
In 1912 the secretary was J W Boden.
Result of a club match played against Chatworth on Saturday 27th April 1912 at Matlock Bath.
|F C Lymm||0||Rev H W L O'Rorke (2&1)||1|
|J E Speed||0||J P Maine (2up)||1|
|J W Boden (half)||0||J W Hulley (half)||0|
|J Kidd (5&4)||1||H C Sweeting||0|
|A E Swann (3&2)||1||V Frost||0|
|B O'Dowds (1up)||1||L Bond||0|
|F Hollingsworth (4&3)||1||S Burdekin||0|
|J Oliver (1up)||1||F Bond||0|
In 1914 the the club had a membership of 50. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6 a day, 6/- a week and 15/- a month.
|1906||R Rimmer, New Bath Hotel, Matlock Bath.||B Goodie (p)|
|1912-14||J W Boden, South Parade, Matlock Bath.||F Gilbert (p)|
|1920||J Wilmot (p)|
The club disappeared in about 1920.