Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Epping Golf Club, Essex.

Founded in 1890 with a nine-hole course on Epping Plain.

The professional from 1891 to 1894 was David Hyde and J Cordell in 1895. 

The following is from the Chelmsford Chronicle Friday 4th September 1891. "The Epping Golf Club came off with flying colours in an encounter with Harlow on Saturday. Two "Foursomes" were played, Major Tait and J Pearson, representing Epping, defeating their opponents, Dent and Caldwell, after a very stubborn contest, by two holes on the two rounds, and the Rev G Ward Saunders and H B Yerburgh, beat the Harlow champions, Mr Lyall and Rev Lewis Cockerell, by one hole."

 

Epping Golf Club, Essex. Pre 1895 club button.

Gilt one piece club button for Epping Golf Club with the pre-1895 Pitt address. Image courtesy of Dixon Pickup.

 

The following information is taken from the 1892-93 Golfing Annual. "The course, which is laid out on a common known as Epping Plain, forming part of Epping Forest, consists of nine short holes and the hazards are whins, bushes and ponds. It is one mile from Epping Station (G.E.R). Monthly handicaps are held on the first Saturday of each month."

The monthly handicap was played on the 1st June 1893 in lovely weather. Owing to the long drought the greens were very untrue and bumpy. Result; H B Yerburgh (secretary of the club), 97-15-82; Rev E T Satterthwaite (Disley Golf Club), 92-9-83; G Sewell, 105-15-90; Rev E Grain, 116-22-94; Rev G W Saunders, 110-15-95; J Pearson, 113-15-98; A Sewell, 123-25-98.

In the monthly handicap competition  in July 1893 there was a strong wind blowing which enabled long driving at some holes. One member drove two successive balls, which with the run on them measured 204 and 240 yards from the tee, the latter being a record on the Epping course. Result; A E Woodward, 3down; H B Yerburgh, 4down; Rev J W Saunders, 5down; R Lyall, 8down; Major Tait, 11down; P M Evans, 12down; A Sewell, 13down.

The winner of the August 1893 monthly bogey was T Tilliard, 2up; four tied for second; H B Yerburgh, S Chisenhale Marsh, Howel J Price and Major J C Tait.

Result of the May 1895 medal; H B Yerburgh, 106-15-91; A Kemp, 104-6-98; J Pearson, 115-15-100.

In the medal competition in July 1896 the winner of 15 and under handicap was H B Yerburgh, 94-14-80; handicap 16 and over was Rev E H Grain, 115-25-90.

Thanks to Dixon Pickup for the following information. The hallmark silver (Birmingham 1910 by Crisford & Norris) award button, below, is for Epping Golf Club. Lettering exactly as per the earlier gilt uniform type. This indicates that the club was alive and well just prior to WW1.

 

Epping Golf Club, Essex. Epping Golf Club Award Button dated 1911.

Epping Golf Club award button competed for in 1911. Image courtesy Dixon Pickup.

 

It seems that the club went into abeyance at the time of WW1.

The next appearance was in 1930 with a 9-hole course laid out at Bridge Farm, there was a membership of about 160.

In 1932/33 there was a membership of 110. The secretary was T L Collison, Bridge Farm, Epping, telephone number 53. Listed as a nine-hole course. Visitors' fees were 1/- a day, 2/6 at weekends and bank holidays. Local Hotel was the Thatched House.

In March 1933 Fred Carr of Stoke Newington, a club member, holed in one at the par 3 fifth hole.

The following advert appeared in the Hertford Mercury and Reformer in August 1939 - Two waitresses wanted at Golf Club and to assist in house; liberal wages and good tips; one whole day and four evenings off  each week, apply personally or by letter to Epping Golf Club, Fiddlers Hamlet, Epping.

Although the Epping Golf Club was listed in the Golfer's Handbook from 1940 to the early 1950s the club had disappeared at the time of WW2.

Epping Golf Club, Essex. Location of the 1930s course.

Along with many courses Bridge Farm was requisitioned for the war effort in the 1940s, there were attempts to reconstruct the course following WW2, unfortunately the efforts came to nothing and the course disappeared in the early 1950s.

Grid reference TL47470,00880, co-ordinates 547470,200880.