Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Halstead Golf Club, Essex.

Founded 1891. A 9 hole undulating course on soil and sand. There were stations at the Colne Valley Railway was 2 miles and Great Easter Railway 1 mile.

In 1904/5 the joint secretaries were H G Cobb and Morton Matthews, the captain was M Matthews. The club had a membership of 40. The course was located at Fitz John's Farm (see Google Map below.)

The president of the club in 1911 was Harry Harvey Portway, Bois Hall, Halstead. He died in November 1929 and it was reported that he had been captain of the club for many years.

In 1914 the secretary was J R Long, Halstead. There was a membership of 35. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were  21/- and ladies 10/6. Visitors’ fees were1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 7/6 a month.

In 1923 the secretary was T Brough JP, "Kelmscott" Sudbury Road, Halstead. The greenkeeper was F Smith. Club membership was now 74. Visitors’ fees were increased to 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month.

Result of a club match against Braintree played at Halstead in June 1925. Below is the result of the singles, Braintree also won the foursomes.

Halstead   Braintree  
W H Creswell 1 P C Tebbey 0
? Craig 0 W B Lake 1
R Long 1 F R H Ranson 0
E Clayton 0 G G Shepherd 0
F Brough 1 J Bradbury 0
H Smith 0 J Gleave 1
H Townrow 0 E L Elliot 1
H E Portway 0 S G Nelson 1
  3   4

From 1930 to 1935 the secretary was H F Smith, 59 High Street, Halstead and the greenkeeper L Brown. Membership during this time managed to top 100. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day.

From 1936 to 1939 the address was Halstead Golf Club, Hedingham Road. The secretary was W R Woolings, Barclays Bank House, Halstead and the greenkeeper J Coote. The 9 hole course had a S.S.S of 71 (amended to 67 in 1940). Amateur course record holder was F Young 69. Membership was now about 70. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round, 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month, the club was licensed. Local hotels were the Railway and the Bull.

At the AGM in November 1939 Mr A McLuckie, club captain, was in the chair. He reported that there was a balance in hand of £9/15s/0d. The following officers were elected; President, Mr S A Cortauld; captain, A McLuckie; vice-captain, W J Anderson; secretary, H Belson; treasurer, R T Brown. The captain’s prize, a standard reading-lamp, was presented to the winner, W J Anderson, by Mrs W R Woollings. The runner-up was L Smith.

The Google Map below show the are around Fitz John's Farm, location of the course in the early 1900s.