East Herts Golf Club, Ware.
The club was founded in 1898.
The original nine-hole course on Barrow Field, Lime Kiln Farm, was laid out by J H Taylor. The additional nine-holes and course redesign was carried out by James Braid in the 1920s.
The following report is from Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper of Sunday 8th April 1900. The links of the East Herts club, near Ware, were formally opened yesterday, when, after a luncheon at which the president, Earl Cowper, K.G., was present, an 18-hole match was played between Mr A J Balfour, M.P., and Dr John A Turner the hon. secretary. An interesting match was halved.
Professionals - F Weston, 1898 - 1906; A C Monk, 1906 - 1923; J Braund, 1923 - 1930s; W Brown, WW2 - 1950s; T Bovington, 1955/6; R King, 1956; A Hay, 1960/1; D Lewis, 1963 - course closure.
In September 1902 J H Taylor took on the local professional, F Weston, in a 36-hole match, Taylor won the match by 3&2. Taylor took 148 strokes and Weston 150.
Following is the entry from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Instituted 1898; Membership of 106 (30 ladies); Hon. Secretary - B J Gripper, Hartham House, Hertford; Captain, G H Gisby; Entrance Fee £1/1s and Subs, £3/3s; Nine-holes; Professional, F Weston; Professional record - 33 for nine and 66 for eighteen; Amateur record - 36 for nine and 74 for eighteen; Fees; 2s a day, Sundays 2s/6d; weekly 5s; £1 per month. The course is on high ground and very dry. Bunkers varied. Greens improving every year.
Following WW2 the secretary was Major F Barber; professional, W Brown; green-keeper, W A Reed; 18-holes, SSS71; Membership, 250; Visitors' 3s/6d round, 5s a day.
In the mid 1950s; secretary, J Edington, "Oakdene" Hartford Road, Great Amwell; professional, T Bovington; green-keeper, W A Reed; 18-holes measuring 5,724 yards, SSS, 68; Records - amateur, C E Taylor 65 - professional, R Braund 65.
In the mid 1960s; secretary, Colonel H M Whitcomb; professional, professional, D Lewis; green-keeper, S Chamberlain; 18-holes measured 5,824 yards, SSS, 70;Membership of 350; Visitors' 7s/6d a round, 10s a day.
Sadly the Taylor/Braid course was abandoned in the late 1960s when the A10 Ware bypass dissected it.
The Eat Herts club moved to its present location at Hamels Park in 1974.
Chadwell Springs Golf Club move on to the revised nine-hole 3,209 yard former East Herts course in 1975. Unfortunately the future of the Chadwell Springs club seems uncertain (July 2016). If anyone has any further information please "Contact Us" thorough the website homepage.
Parts of the original James Braid designed East Herts Golf Course lie beneath the A10 bypass.