Northaw Golf Club, Potters Bar, Herts.
Founded in 1903, Northaw was a 9 hole course with a good variety of hazards including furze bushes, ditches and ponds. The course was on gravel soil, situated in Nyn Park, Northaw. The secretary throughout the club’s existence was H R Darlington, Park House, Potters Bar. There were stations at Potters Bar or Cuffley, both 2 ¼ miles away.
In 1906 the professional was Henry King (1905 to 1908). Visitors’ fees on introduction were 3/- a week and 10/- a month. Ladies paid half these rates.
From 1912 to 1919, the professional was W Smith. In 1914, club membership stood at 100. The entry fee was £2/2/0 and the subs £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day with a member, 2/- without. 5/- a week, 15/- a month. Ladies half rate on all fees. Sunday play was not allowed.
Throughout the 1920s to its closure in about 1930, the professional was Charles Maggs. Club membership was about 120.Visitors’ fees on introduction were 2/- a day, Saturday 2/6d (3/6d if not introduced), 7/6d a week and £1 a month, ladies half rate. There was no Sunday play during most of the 1920s although this was relaxed towards the end of the club’s existence, play was allowed on Sunday afternoons.