Burbage Common Golf Club, Leicester Road, Hinckley.
Founded in 1894. A 9 hole course until the late 1930s when it was extended to 12 holes, it reverted to 9 holes in the 1950s. There were several changes to the yardage and these are listed below. Sunday play was not permitted prior to WW1. Local hotels were the Union and the George.
In 1914 there was no entry fee and subs were £2/2/0 for gents and 10/6 for ladies. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/- a week, 5/- a fortnight and 10/- a month.
In 1916 the secretary was Walter J Pilgrim, Station Road.
In the early 1920s visitors’ fees were now 2/6 a day.
In 1925 the secretary was Walter Pilgrim.
In 1940 and 1947 recorded as a 12 hole course with a SSS and par of 70. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round, 2/6 at weekend.
In the mid 1960s the 9 holes had a total yardage of 5,362, a SSS of 65, and a membership of 250. Visitors’ fees 5/- a round, 7/6 a day, 10/- weekend and Bank Holidays.
|1914||J H Layng||J H Busson (p)|
|1920s(early)||A T Blakesley, Walton House.|
|1924||R C Mason, "Briefond" Hinckley.||W E Colver (p)|
|1930||W T Busby, Queens Road, Hinckley.|
|1940/47||A W Macarthur, 78 Mount Road, Hinckley.||B Fereday (p) M Fraser (g)|
|1950s (mid)||P J Hardy||J Houghton (g)|
|1960s (mid)||J H Chapman||E Harrison (p)|
|1970s (mid)||J H Chapman|
|1920s||T S Beards more (am) 33 J H Busson (pro) 31|
|1960s||A M Reed (am) 67|
|1970s||G B Clarke (am) 70|
|1982||A Taylor and P Taylor (am) 68|
In the mid 1970s the 9 hole course now had a total yardage of 5,667 and a SSS of 67. Fees £1 a day, £1.20p at weekend and Bank Holiday.
Towards the end in 1982 the 9 holes of 5,845 yards had a SSS of 69.
Grid reference SP44660,95110, co-ordinates 444660,295110.
Burbage Common Golf Club sometimes called Burbage Green finished in 1983. The current club is Hinckley.