Uppingham Golf Club, Rutland.
Founded in 1892, Uppingham was a 9 hole hilly course with hazards of hedges and bushes. The station at Uppingham was 1 mile from the course. The local hotel was the Falcon which was regularly used by parents visiting the famous local school. Railway station (LMS) was 1 ½ miles away.
A meeting was held on Friday 14th October 1892 to form a golf club for the Uppingham district. It was decided at this meeting that a club should be formed, annual subscriptions would be 21/- for gent’s and 10/6 for ladies. The Rev W Vale Bagshawe was elected President; Mr J C Powell, Captain; Mr C Edmonson, Secretary. A professional had been employed to organise the layout of the course.
Result of a home match played against Stamford on Saturday 16th March 1895.
|G Martineau||5||W Thorold||0|
|R N Douglas||5||C Carrel||0|
|Rev T E Raven||6||H V Iggulden||0|
|H L Maynard||3||H B Waite||0|
|Rev C A C Bowlker||0||R Wyche||3|
|Rev R Waltham||5||C Hunt||0|
Below is the result of the October 1895 monthly medal. Mr A C Taylor won the prize for the best gross score, there were seven no returns.
|Rev W V Bagshawe||109||39||70|
|A C Taylor||87||12||75|
|S W S Carey||94||15||79|
|Rev C F S Wood||121||32||89|
The winner of the monthly bogey for November 1895 was Mr F J Kittermaster, 2up.
Following is the result of the October 1899 monthly medal; Mr E Hockliffe, 96-12-84; Mrs Raven, 123-38-85; H Puckle, 96-10-86; W G Howson, 118-32-86; L V Bagshawe, 104-18-86; K Metzler, 111-24-87; F J Kittermaster, 98-10-88; A C Taylor, 99-10-89.
The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; secretary, Walter C Perry, Manor House, Uppingham; captain, T E Monckton; professional, J Smith; professional record, R Lewis, 33; amateur record, J S Campbell, 33; Entrance Fee, Nil and Subs £1/11s/6d, Ladies 15/-; Visitors' 2/6 a week.
In 1908 the secretary and treasurer was W C Perry.
Below is the result of a match played on the Luffenham course on March 28th 1912.
|F A G Heathcote (2&1)||1||F G Bashford||0|
|H B Waite (2&1)||1||H B Roberts||0|
|C Atter||0||H Puckle (4&2)||1|
|Rev C A C Bowlker||0||J C Adkins (4&2)||1|
|Rev Chas Cartwright||0||Mr Neilson (5&4)||1|
|P W Johnston (6&4)||1||Rev F E Duckworth||0|
In 1914 the club had a membership of 75. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/11/6 and ladies 15/-. Visitors’ fees on introduction were 1/- a day and 2/6 a week. Sunday play was not allowed.
In 1912 the treasurer was J A Lumsden M.A., he took on the dual role of secretary and treasurer during the war years and into the early 1920s.
In the 1923 there was a membership of 80.Visitors’ fees had increased to 1/6 a day, 5/- a week.
|1914||W St B Griffith||H Drake (p)|
|1923||R Sterndale-Bennett. The Cottage, Uppingham.|
The club’s final appearance was in 1929, when the secretary was F G Bashford, The Lochans, Uppingham. Membership at this time was 90.