Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Donington Golf Club, Lincs.

First appeared in 1921 and continued to be listed in Golfer’s Handbooks through to the 1980s. It’s likely that the club disappeared long before the 1980s.

The following is from the Lincolnshire Standard & Boston Guardian Saturday 25th June 1921; Golf – A preliminary meeting in connection with the formation of a Golf Club for Donington was held at the Red Cow Hotel Assembly Room on Thursday. Mr A G Fletcher presided, and pointed out that they were in the fortunate position, owing to the great kindness of Mr H H Manton, of having the use of an almost natural golf course of six-holes, in all probability nine. The meeting resolved that it was desirable to form a Golf Club for Donington and district with the following forming the committee; A G Fletcher, H H Manton G W Marsh, G Howard, Dr E Morris and Mrs Gleed. The Chairman stated that the professional from Ranceby Golf Course had visited the ground and was most favourably impressed.

The secretary throughout was G W Marsh. A 9-hole course. The station at Donington Road was ½ mile away. Sunday play was allowed.

 

Donington Golf Club, Lincolnshire. Golf Club dance held in November 1926.

From the Boston Guardian Saturday 13th November 1926.

 

It was reported in September 1930 that Mr G W Marsh who did much in the formation of the golf club had retired after 36 years as headmaster of the Cowley Endowed Elementary School.

As yet we have been unable to find the exact location of the course or its closure date. The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former station at Donington Road. The golf course was half mile away.