Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Grimsby & Cleethorpes Golf Club, Lincs.

Initially golf was played rather haphazardly on fields south of Peoples Park in Grimsby. In 1894 a 9hole links course in a beautiful setting was laid out between the bathing pool and the Cleethorpes boundary, land now occupied by the boating lake.

The first match on the new links of the Grimsby & Cleethorpes club took place on Saturday 16th March 1895 against Beverley. The visitors won both the singles and foursome matches. The Grimsby & Cleethorpes team were; J Barker, Wintringham, Bloomer, Nicholls and Dr Armitage. Beverley team; Dr France, Major Bower, Unett, Hodson and Ward.

In September 1895 the following officers were elected for the year; Captain, Mr J Barker junr; treasurer, W H Turner; secretary, T M Hawkins; auditors, James and Whalley; committee – Rev A Abbott, C F Carter, H K Bloomer, R Long, A Mountain, H G Moody, H Nicolls, J F Wintringham, and W H Wintringham. In his report the secretary stated that the links were being arranged and extended as suggested by Major Maule of the West Middlesex Golf Club, and also that the subs would be raised to one guinea with half a guinea entry fee.

The Earl of Yarborough, president of the club, struck the first ball to a “tee” on the opening of the extended course on October 5th he then declared the links open. A foursome match was then played with Lord Yarborough and Mr Soames taking on Mr Leslie-Melville and Major Maule, Lord Yarborough and his partner won the match 1up. Following the game luncheon was taken at the Dolphin Hotel, those attending included; Mr J M Richardson and Victoria Countess of Yarborough, Lady Adeline Larkin, the Hon Mr and Mrs Pelham, Major Maule, Mr J Barker (club captain), Mr Howkins (secretary), A G Soames, C F Carter, T Mountain, A Mountain, T Wintringham, A F James, G A Carr, Dr Draper, Rev A Abbott, Dr and Miss Pratt, Mr and Mrs Creswell, Mr and Mrs R Cook, Mr and Mrs J F Wintringham, Mrs Howkins, Mr and Mrs J F Bannister. Later in the day a handicap competition was held for members, won by Captain Broadrick.

In 1899 there was a match between Herd and Vardon on the nine hole course.

At the AGM in October 1901 the report stated that the club was stronger than ever in playing members and that the links had considerably improved during the year. The Earl of Yarborough was re-elected president and the following were re-elected vice presidents; Mr H J Reckitt MP, his Honour Judge Shortt, Mr A H Lesley-Melville, Mr J Maunsell Richardson, Ald J Sutcliffe and Mr A G Soames, with the addition of Mr R C Long of Laceby. Dr Duncan was appointed captain and J W Smethurst and H K Bloomer joint secretaries. Mr Allison was elected treasurer. Before the meeting a competition took place for the medal presented by Mr T M Howkins, which was previously won by Mr G E Collins, who again offered the medal for competition. Mr H L Barker was the winner with Mr Bloomer and Mr Baker second and third.

In 1902 the club moved to an 18 hole course on the Carrington estate, laid out by Harry Vardon. The club continued to be known as Grimsby & Cleethorpes until 1929, when the name was changed to Cleethorpes Golf Club.

Grimsby & Cleethorpes Golf Club, Lincolnshire. Location of the former golf course.

The original Grimsby & Cleethorpes course in the early 1900s.