Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Southcliffe Golf Club, Lincoln.

The original club was founded 1893 and in the early years was known as Lincoln South Park Golf Club. It was a nine-hole course situated on South Common with splendid views, a hilly course with natural hazards.   The common was shared with the general public, the golfers wearing red jackets to identify them as players.

The president of the club opened the newly formed Southcliffe Golf Club on the South Common on Saturday 28th September 1912. The club had already secured a membership of 120. The following officers were appointed; President, Councillor W S White; secretaries, A Montagu Lyons and T C Ives; treasurer, W A Harland; club captain, Dr Godfrey; vice-captain, W T Bell; committee – Dr F Allcock, Dr Stanley Green, Dr W P Young, W G Burcombe, J H Burgess, A R Corns, F E Fry and John Lodge. 

With the onset of WW1the land was required for the war effort when it was used for soldier training and tank testing. It took time to re-establish following WW1, it did eventually re-appear in the early 1920s, when a new clubhouse was built, it was also hoped to extend the course to18 holes. Unfortunately, there were more serious problems to face in the 1920s that would have an effect on most people’s lives, the General Strike followed by the Great Depression. Again the club came out strong with everyone pulling together to keep the course in good shape. The 1930s proved to be a much calmer period and the club was thriving, until 1939 that is. Once again a much more serious problem were looming - WW2. The club seemed to survive war better than most, with a lot of clubs and courses never recovering.

However, things took a major turn for the worst in 1972; the council had decided that all sporting activities on the common should cease. This came as a bitter blow to the members and would spell the end for the Southcliffe Golf Club on the common.

Fortunately land was obtained on Canwick Park and an 18-hole course was laid out. It opened in 1974 and eventually became Canwick Park Golf Club in 1979.

Result of the monthly medal in June 1895 for the Lincoln South Park Golf Club. It was reported that the lies through the green had much improved, and the greens were in good order, but the holes were very trickily placed on keen slopes giving much trouble to the players, hence the high scores; Mr C H Newsum won the silver medal with a net 105; Mr Townroe, 106; Mr S Musgrave, 108. The bronze medal was won by Mr W T Dale, net 124.

Result of a match played against Notts Golf Club at Lincoln in June 1895. Apparently several matches were close and exciting, this must have been little consolation to the home team. The course was said to be in excellent condition and considering the recent drought the putting greens played well

Lincoln   Notts  
W T Toynbee 0 J Hall 2
Rev W N Usher 0 J C Warren 6
H N Sutton 0 A N Bromley 6
R Swan 0 J Bower 2
A Fellowes 0 H Secretary 4
Capt Harvey 0 Rev A C Beckton 3
F R Hutton 0 J Lincoln 3
E Larkin 0 C F Dobson 7
  0   33

Result of a match played at Skegness in September 1895

Skegness   Lincoln  
R H Feguson 0 H Bryan 1
Rev R Barrow 0 Ed Larkin 3
A J Shaw 0 Capt Harvey 2
W Carr-Jackson 0 F Hutton 8
Col Stack 0 Major Day 8
  0   22

 Result of the monthly medal of the Lincoln South Park club played on Saturday March 8th 1900; first division – C H Newsum, 89; second division – C Scorer, 87. Eleven cards were returned.

  Secretary
1914 A M Lyons "Frystone", St Catherines, Lincoln and T C Ives, South Park, Lincoln.
1940 L J Meldrum, 37 Hartsholme Drive, Lincoln.
1947 L Stubbs, "Rivock", Brant Road, Lincoln.
1951 J J Meyers, 58 South Park, Lincoln.
1950s (mid) T W Broughton, Terre Haute, Gretwell Lane, Netttleham.
1960s J E Robinson
1975 P J Richardson

 

  Professional/greenkeeper
1914 P F Fiddaman (p)
1927/47 Les Clark (p&g)
1951 A M Robertson (p&g)
1950s (mid) D Cooper (p)
1960 E Smith (g)
1964 H Foster (g)

 

  Course record
1940 L A Foster (am) 75
1947 D McPhail (am) 70
1951 C S Thorpe (am) 69
1950s (mid) D Cooper (pro) 67
1960s F Dowman (am) and H Troops (am) 71

In 1914 there was a membership of 150. Entry fees were 10/6d and subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 4/- a week. There were no restrictions for ladies and no Sunday play.

Below is the result of a match played at Southcliffe against Carholme in May 1928. 

Southcliffe   Carholme  
T P Burness 0 W T Martin 1
H Shaw 0 G F Spittlehouse 1
S Armstrong 0 F J Delany 1
W Clark 0 F Jones 1
F Burton (Half) 0 J Fields (Half) 0
M Burgess 0 G Self 1
S Heywood 1 A Pritchard 0
T Swales 0 F Harrison 1
H Gammon 0 J Botterill 1
G Wright 0 S Kerr 1
H E Reade 0 F Pickering 1
Major Maxwell 0 C Williamson 1
  1   10

In 1940 club membership was about 100. 9 holes with a SSS and Par of 67. Visitors’ fees were 1/6d a day and 3/6d per week. Sunday play was allowed.

By 1947 the 9-hole course had a SSS and Par of 69, and membership had risen to 250. Visitors’ fees were also increased to 2/- a day and 7/6d per week. Sunday play was allowed during the morning only.

The following report and the image below are from the Lincolnshire Echo 17th February 1948. "The plan, specially drawn  for the Echo by the City Surveyor's Department, shows the extended Southcliffe golf course on the South Common Lincoln - subject of a number of letters printed on this page. The sports areas shown are taken up with cricket and football pitches. A golf tee is indicated by a black spot and a green by a square."

It seems that the public were opposed to the proposals, golfers and the general public are regularly in conflict when golf was played on common land.

We have so far found no evidence that the Southcliffe golf course was actually extended to eighteen-holes on South Common. 

 

Southcliffe Golf Club, Lincoln. The proposed 18-hole layout in 1948.

The plan of the 18-hole course. From the Lincolnshire Echo Tuesday 17th February 1948. Image © The British Library Board. All Rights Reserved.

 

The South Common course can be seen on the Britain From Above link below.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw002775?search=lincoln&ref=79

In 1951 membership was 200, Sunday afternoon play was allowed.

In the mid 1950s visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day and 10/6d a week.

During the 1960s the 9-hole course measured 2,717yds. Visitors fees’ had increased to 3/6 a day and 10/6 a week. Sunday play was now permitted in the morning only.

Southcliffe Golf Club, Lincoln. Location of the former course.

Location of the course on the South Common. Grid reference SK97790,69555, co-ordinates 497790,369555.