Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Sandringham Golf Course.

The nine-hole course was laid out in Sandringham Park, adjacent to the gardens of Sandringham House. I have so far been unable to find out when the course was laid out, although it would have been after the Estate was bought by the Royal Family in 1862. There is a description of Princess Alexandra of Wales playing golf at Sandringham, which would date it to before 1901.

The course would have been mainly for the use of the Royal Family their guests and estate workers.

The course continued until WW2 when it was ploughed up for the growing of arable crops. It did not appear following the war. 

It was reported in November 1905 that “It has been decided that Prince Edward and Prince Albert of Wales are to join the Naval College at Osborne after the Christmas holidays. In the meantime the little Princes are enjoying their last weeks of liberty. With their sister, Princess Mary of Wales, they are out every day on the Sandringham golf links, in all sorts of weather, and are becoming quite expert at the game.”  

 

Sandringham Golf Course, Norfolk. Article from The Sketch in June 1910.

 

Sandringham Golf Course, Norfolk. Article from The Sketch in June 1910.

From The Sketch June 15th 1910. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Below, station master rewarded for long service, and a mention for the golf course. 

 

Sandringham Golf Course, Norfolk. Article from The Dundee Courier in November 1924.

From The Dundee Courier November 24th 1924. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The golf course can be seen to the north on the 1928 Britain From Above image below.

 

Sandringham Golf Course, Norfolk. Briatain From Above the course can be seen to the north.

Above image courtesy of www.britainfromabove.org © Historic England.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former course.