Kings Lynn Golf Club, Norfolk.
The club was founded in 1923.
In August 1926 the Chatterton Cup was won by H Massingham who beat P Elliott in the final by 3 & 1. A bogey competition was won by Mr Leslie Barnes.
Below is the result of a match played at Woodhall Spa in October 1928.
|Woodhall Spa||Kings Lynn|
|Capt W J Alexander (Half)||0||W D Kirkham (Half)||0|
|H E Sharman||1||C O Billing||0|
|C E Scorer||1||T L Hart||0|
|G B Hett||1||W H Bardell||0|
|Rev T F U Robson||0||R Robinson||1|
|T M Wheat||1||Dr S G Collins||0|
|J W Walter||1||P C Elliott||0|
|Col J McCarthy||1||T Woodhall||0|
|Capt W J Alexander & H E Sharman||1||W D Kirkham & C O Billing||0|
|C E Scorer & G B Hett||0||T L Hart & W H Bardell||1|
|Rev T F U Robson & Col J McCarthy||1||R Robinson & Dr S G Collins||0|
|Major S V Hotchkin & J W Walter||1||P C Elliott & T Woodhall||0|
In 1947 the club address was at Middleton. The 18 hole course had a SSS and Par of 75. Railway stations were at Middleton or Gayton Road both 1 mile away. Visitors’ fees were 3/6d a round and 5/- on weekdays, weekend and Bank Holidays 5/- a round , 7/6d a day, 15/- a week and £2 a month. Local hotels were the Duke’s Head and the Globe.
On Thursday April 15th 1950 R A Knight, Felixstowe, formerly assistant to Henry Cotton at Mid Surrey, set a new competition course record with a first round of 68 in the Eastern qualifying section of the Daily Mail golf tournament. Previous record, 69, stood for about 20 years, but Charles Ward (Little Aston) a Ryder Cup Player, carded a 68 in an exhibition match in 1949.
In 1960 the 18 hole course was 6,232 yards in length and had a SSS of 73. Visitors’ fees were 6/- a weekday, weekend and Bank Holiday 7/6d a day, 25/- a week and 50/- a month.
In the early 1970s the 18 holes measured 6,312yds and had a SSS of 70, membership was 650.
|1947||A G Sykes, Old Hall, Middleton.||J O Lovelock (pro) H J Powell (gk)|
|1950s (mid)||J H Jenner, 59 King George V Avenue, KL.||C Hanlon (pro) H J Powell (gk)|
|1960||G F Ball||C Hanlon (pro) H J Powell (gk)|
|1970s||Major H T Roberts||C Hanlon (pro)|
|1947||W S Thompson (am) 70 Jas Sherlock (pro) 69|
|1950s||A J W Carlisle (am) 69 R A Knight (pro) 68|
|1970s||M P Staines (am) 68 C Clark (pro) 68|
The club moved from Leziate to its present location at Castle Rising in 1975. The Leziate site was purchased by British Industrial Sand who excavated most, if not all, of the land that golf was played on and have now landscaped the large part providing lakes and woodland.