Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Lowestoft Golf Club, Pakefield, Suffolk.

Founded 1887. The original course was of  9-holes at The Denes. The club moved to Pakefield in 1906 where a 9 hole course was laid out. Additional land was purchased in 1924 and James Braid designed the 18-hole course. Due to road improvement schemes and additional housing requirement the club had to look for another site and finally moved to Rookery Park in 1975.

The new 9-hole course opened in 1907. It was 3,100yds in length providing excellent golf. Situated on undulating ground with light soil and sand bunkers. There were good clubhouse facilities. It continued as a 9-hole course until 1914. In 1924 the course was extended to 18-holes. It is interesting that the name of Wade crops up as professional throughout the clubs history. In 1906 it was H Wade, in the early 1920s H B Wade became the professional and he held the position until the mid 1930s. In 1928 H B Wade won the Suffolk and Cambridge Professional Championship at Aldeburgh with a score of 151. W H Wade was the professional from the mid 1930s to the mid 1950s. The station at Lowestoft Central was 1 ¼ miles from the course. There was also a tram service direct to the course in the early years. Local hotels were the Empire, Grand, Crown and the Royal.

 

Lowestoft Golf Club, Pakefield, Suffolk. Golfers outside the clubhouse in the 1920s.

Golfers gathered outside the Lowestoft Golf Club clubhouse in the 1920s. Spashetts photo card. 

 

  Secretary Professional/greenkeeper
1906 A R Mayo, National Prvincial Bank, Lowestoft. H B Wade (p)
1914 C Morton Shalders, The Golf Club, Lowestoft. A Saunders (p)
1923 Major C D Handley, East View, Lowestoft. H B Wade (p) T Goldspink (g)
1927 A Rose. As above
1928 A Rose and W S Todd. As above
1929-30s W S Todd. H B Wade (p) W Goldspink (g)
1937-47 W G English, 4 Pakefield Road, Lowestoft. W Goldspink (g)
1951   W H Wade (p) W H Pratt (g)
1952/3   H R Gowing (g)
1954-57 G Dunworth, 193 London Road, Lowestoft. As above
1958 R Bocking, 181 London Road South, Lowestoft. O Wynn (p)
1959-70s W J Bessey, 90 Walmer Road, Lowestoft.  
1959   Ian Young (p)
1960-63   T Butcher (p)
1964-70s   A A Butcher (p)
1972-75 J Emerson. As above

 

  Course Records
1906 A Notley (am) 77. H B Wade (pro) 72.
1923 B G Lemon (am) 74. A Saunders (pro) 71.
1929/30s J H Colvin (am 1929) 75. E Dunn (am 1931) 74. H B Wade & W H Wade (pro 68) 
1937-47 R J Parsons (am) 70. H B Wade (pro) 67.
1950s-70s R Watson, R Long, G Gibbs (am) 69. H B Wade 68.

In 1906 visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month.

The monthly bogey competition for April 1908 was won by S B Love (11) 3up, the runner-up was T Jenner (12) 1down.  

The winner of the monthly spoon for August 1908 was Mr W E Frost with a score of 2down.

The AGM was held in the Clubhouse, South Lowestoft, on Tuesday 8th September 1908, the captain, Dr E Hewer, in the chair. Amongst others present were; Herbert Sayer, ACA, secretary; M F Dobson, T Jenner, J R O’Driscoll, F Spashett, R H Dobson, T Sergeant, A M Smith, E D Pyne, A R Mayo, J A Nicholson, H Thomas, E H Devereux, J Wyllie, H Sayer, G A Wace, H R Hewison and C C Atkins. The chairman stated that the course had been improved and was in good condition. Members and visitors had commented favourably on the nine-hole course. Everything during the past 18 months had worked smoothly, the only matter yet to be resolved was water for the greens. The accounts were presented and the club was shown to be financially sound, green fees and subscriptions had increased during the year and the membership had risen from 136 to 193.

Dr E Hewer was re-elected captain and Herbert Sayer, secretary, committee as follows; F Spashett, R H Dobson, T Jenner, H C Jefferies, E D Pyne and Dr H C Barraclough. Dr Hewer was thanked for all his hard work since the club moved to the South Lowestoft Links he had “practically lived on the course” Herbert Sayer was also thanked for his invaluable services.

The competition for the Larkin’s Challenge Cup was played on Sunday 4th October 1908 it was won by A Notley with a score of 84. A mixed foursome was played on Tuesday and was won by Miss Manley Sims and E D Pyne with a score of 3up.

In 1914 the club membership was, 150 gents and 67 ladies. The entry fee for gents was £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6. Subs for gents were £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Visitors fees were 2/- a day, 8/- a week and £1/4/0  a month. During the months of July, August and September fees were 2/6 a day, 10/- a week and £1/10/0 a month. Introduction was not necessary. Sunday play with caddies was allowed.

1923 and membership was now 124 gents and 80 ladies. Visitors’ fees during July, August and September were 4/-day, 15/-week, 42/-month. Rest of the year, 3/-, 10/-, 30/- respectively.

In 1924 the extended 18-hole course, designed by James Braid, and measuring 6,177 yards, was opened with an exhibition match involving James Braid, Harry Vardon, H B Wade and W Ritchie.

 

Lowestoft Golf Club, Pakefield, Suffolk. H B Wade on the tenth green.

The above image shows H B Wade on the tenth green. (Courtesy London Golf Heritage @LdnGolfHistory)

 

 

Result of an interesting match, Singles against Married men, which was played in November 1926.

Lowestoft Golf Club (Single)   Lowestoft Golf Club (Married)  
J Colby 1 F Podd 0
J Butterfield 1 W S Todd 0
James Peck 0 J C Colvin 1
H J Duggin 1 P C Adams 0
F E Catchpole 1 H Vere Jones 0
J Sayer 1 E C Swann 0
J Pettersen 0 A Stevens 1
J H Wainright 0 F Spashett 1
E Birkett 0 R F Richards 1
O D Alfreton 0 C W Stebbings 1
H Gray 1 V Chadd 0
  6   5

In 1927 there was a total membership of 250. Visitors paid 2/6 a round.

In 1929 and the early 1930s the course had a SSS of 75,  membership of 300. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a round, 4/- a day, 15/- a week and 40/- a month.

From 1937 to 1947 the course SSS was 73. Membership between these dates varied from 250 to 270.

From 1948 to 1953 the SSS was 71. Membership in 1948 was 310 decreasing to 285 by 1953. Visitors’ fees in 1952/3 were 4/- a round, 6/- a day and £1 a week.

From 1954 to 1957 membership f 290. Visitors’ fees were 3/6 a round and 5/- a day.

 

Lowestoft Golf Club, Pakefield, Suffolk. Golf match at Lowestoft circa 1954.

Lowestoft and Felixstowe Ferry golfers circa 1954. Image courtesy of Michael Thomas.

 

In 1958 the membership was 350 and visitors paid 5/- a round.

In 1959 the course measured 5,538yds and had a SSS of 71.

In the early 1960s the course was extended to 6,111yds the SSS remained at 71’

Membership varied between 380 in 1959 to 500 in 1965. In the mid 1960s visitors’ fees were 7/6 a round and 10/- a day. Weekend and Bank Holiday charges were 12/6 a round and £1 a day.

From 1972 to the clubs last year in 1975 the 18 hole course measured 6,900yds and had a SSS of 73. Club membership of 550. Visitors' fees were £1.50p a day, £2 a day at Weekends, £7 a week and £15 a month.

Lowestoft Golf Club,Pakefield, Suffolk. The early clubhouse.

The postcard above has been used and the post mark is for 11th July 1905, therefore it’s the first Lowestoft clubhouse, at the Denes. To see a plan of the location of this course, see Corton. The clubs were neighbours, but in different decades. Postcard by Raphael Tuck & Sons “Town and City” series 2042.

 

Lowestoft Golf Club, Pakefield, Suffolk. Location of the golf course.

Location of the Pakefield course. Grid reference TM52995,90865, co-ordinates 652995,290865.