Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Olton Golf Club, Solihull, West Midlands.

Founded in November 1893 by James Power Heaton. The course was situated on farmland on St Bernard’s Road, Olton. Originally a 9 hole course it was extended to 18 holes in 1901. The club moved to its current location in 1903.

Below is the result of a club match played against Handsworth at Olton in December 1897. Handsworth were not at full strength and suffered a heavy defeat. 

Olton   Handsworth  
W M Cox 3 A Bragg 0
C Hoskins 6 W Hogben 0
A Strynor 7 G H Pearson 0
H Strynor 1 R M Hills 0
H Huggins 0 Rev J R Worthington 0
J E Hill 10 W Best 0
  27   0

In September 1901 The Midland Professional Tournament was held at Olton. The weather was ideal and the course was in perfect condition, the greens playing excellently. Thirty five professionals took part and the following were the leading scores; J Sherlock (Oxford) 74+72, 146; H Cawsey (Malvern) 76+71, 147; J Kinnell (Norwich) 73+74, 147; W Lewis (King’s Norton) 77+72, 149; A Lewis (Burton) 78+73, 151; F Wingate (Harborne) 77+75, 152; T Williamson (Notts) 76+76, 152; G H Cawsey (Malvern) 77+76, 153; C L Wingate (Olton) 74+80, 154; R Munro (Chislehurst) 77+77, 154.

Below, result of a ladies' match played at Olton on Thursday 30th October 1913 against Leamington & County. 

Olton   Leamington & County  
Miss Harfield (half) 0 Mrs E Rotherham (half) 0
Miss Hartill 0 Mrs Tidsall Johns 1
Mrs Chatterley 1 Mrs Batchelor 0
Miss Russell 0 Miss Huggins 1
Miss Boddington 0 Miss Lindner 1
Mrs Boddington 1 Miss Reynolds 0
Miss Crossby (half) 0 Miss Mansell (half) 0
  2   3

 

Robin Hood Golf Club eventually moved to the St Bernard’s Road site in the 1930s (see Robin Hood listing)