Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ward End Golf Club, Birmingham. 

The club was founded in 1898 and was the forerunner to the now defunct Castle Bromwich Golf Club (see separate entry).

The nine-hole course had a par of 34 and was about 5 miles East of Birmingham city centre. In the early 1900s the landowner decided the club/course was not worth pursuing, so the membership moved further out and leased land from the Earl of Bradford in 1901. The Castle Bromwich course at Bromford Lane did not open until c1906.

Ward End played many inter-club matches during the 1890/1900s. In January 1900 Coventry Hearsall Golf Club defeated Ward End by 21 to 1. In March 1900 Ward End beat Yardley by 20 to 12.

Results from April 1900; H J Hobbis won the Christmas handicap beating Mr Robson in the final by 2&1; The spring handicap was won by J E Burghum; J Westwood won the spring gold medal.

The annual meeting was held in June 1900. The accounts showed an income of £126 and expenditure of £139, a deficit of £13. The following officials were appointed; president - Colonel Ash; vice presidents - Surgeon-Colonel Freer, H J Hobbiss; captain - Dr Campbell; hon. treasurer - Mr Wigham; joint secretaries - Dr Pooler and Dr Robson.

Thanks to Dixon Pickup for  the image below and for his help with research into Ward End Golf Club. The button in copper gilt is 21mm with reverse markings, 'Firmin & Sons Ld. 108 St Martins Lane, (London). This was the address for the company during the 1895-1914 period.

 

Ward End Golf Club, Birmingham. WEGC Club Button.

Ward End Golf Club Button.

 

Ward End Golf Club, Birmingham. Location of the former golf course.

The original nine-hole course of the Ward End Golf Club was located between Timberley Lane and Old Croft Lane. Reproduced from the {1904} Ordnance Survey Map.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former course.