Brandwood House Golf Club, Brandwood Road, Kings Heath.
The club was founded in 1923. The secretary was G E Baker the professional G Reynolds and the greenkeeper H Malins. Originally a 9-hole course eventually extended to 18-holes, the course was laid out under the guidance of A R Whieldon of Moseley. The clubhouse had three billiard tables there were also hard and grass tennis courts. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 3/- at weekend and Bank Holiday. The railway station at Birmingham was 3 miles away, with the Alcester Lane tram terminus a five minute walk from the course, there was also a bus service from town.
In early 1923 Mr S J Roberts of Moseley acquired the estate in Brandwood Road and he soon saw the potential of laying out a golf course on the land. With Mr Robert’s enthusiasm and the valuable support of a small group of gentlemen members a scheme for the formation of a club was quickly put in place and Mr Whieldon was consulted with regard to the layout of the course. With the superb golfing turf, and the natural contours of the land, the location was perfect for golf. The course occupied an elevated position at over 500 feet above sea-level. The club was officially opened on the 1st April 1923, and a bright future was predicted for the club by Councillor Gelling, who performed the opening ceremony.
On Whit Monday 1926 the full 18-hole course was opened by the President. The first ball was struck by Miss Lalle Roberts, the President’s daughter. An exhibition match was then played by leading local professionals; A R Whieldon, Moseley, G R Buckle, Edgbaston, M Bingham, Stourbridge and J Hunt of the home club, a large attendance of golfing enthusiasts followed the play.
The above spoons were originally the property of club member Percy David Dunkley. Percy died some thirty years ago and he obviously treasured the spoons. His family were manufacturers of the very well known Dunkley perambulators based in Birmingham, but Percy remarried and moved to Bournemouth in the 1940s. (Thanks to Martin Eldridge)
Officers of the club in the early 1930s; President, S J Roberts; Vice-Presidents, Major H Cranage, M.C and E S Roberts; Management Committee, S J Roberts, G Samworth, E S Roberts and H E C Bladon; Secretary, G E Baker; Captain, J F Berry; Vice-Captain, F J Crampton; Gentlemen’s General Committee, R Cadwell, T W M Hutton, H G Matthew, H A Tyler and E D A Reed; Competitions Secretary, T W Bladon; Assistant Secretary, O G Thery; Ladies’ Captain, Mrs T W M Hutton; Ladies’ General Committee, Miss G N Farmer and Mrs P Dunkley; Competitions Secretary Mrs A J Harris; Hon Treasurer, Mrs A M Mackinnon; Entertainment Committee, Mrs P Dunkley, Mrs B Kendrick, J F Crampton and T W M Hutton; Professional, G F Reynolds; Steward, Alfred Stainton.
Brandwood House Golf Club had disappeared by the late 1930s.