Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Dudley Golf Club, West Midlands.

Founded 1893, the first course was located at Russells Hall; it moved to its present location in 1928.

The Reverend Adam Gray Maitland had sent out a circular at the beginning of March 1893 asking interested parties to attend a meeting at the Vicarage regarding the formation of the Dudley Golf Club. The first game of golf was played on a portion of the course on Saturday 18th March 1893. The club by this time had already attracted over 60 members. It was hoped that the Earl of Dudley would officiate at the formal opening of the course. The original nine holes were laid out by Old Tom Morris of St Andrews, a personal friend of the Vicar of Dudley.

Following is an extract from a report that appeared in the St Andrews Citizen on the 10th June 1893. The Dudley course boasts a set of hazards, peculiarly its own. These are disused pits filled up to a convenient height, and Tom (Morris) pronounces them very suitable for the purpose. The club has a membership of both sexes. John Kirkaldy left for Dudley on Monday to become green-keeper there. 

The annual meeting was held on Tuesday 24th January 1899, the report showed that the club had a membership of 74. 

Below, result of a match played at Hagley on Saturday 4th March 1899. 

Hagley   Dudley  
W H Grazebrook 7 A H Bassano 0
G Macpherson 5 J W Nayler 0
C K Harrison 2 W H Thompson 0
H T King 2 J S Morris 0
Rev H Bourne 0 S G Hooper 3
G B Gibbons 0 C W Bassano 5
L Bradley 2 H E Garratt 0
  18   8

In 1900 the secretary was A W Grazebrook, Dudley. Course records; amateur, A H Bassano 38, professional, J Braid 33.

Result of a club match played on the Dudley course against Kidderminster in May 1900.

Dudley   Kidderminster  
A H Bassano 4 W R Nash 0
C W Bassano 7 G Grindley 0
J W Nayler 0 C K Harrison 4
S G Hooper 3 M Oldham 0
J S Morris 0 S Hemmingway 2
W H Thompson 2 J P Coney 0
G B Gibbons 4 R B Dawson 0
H E Garratt 0 L Donisthorpe 1
A W Dando 9 J G Welch 0
  29   7

In 1906 the secretary was J Nichols, Old Bank House, Dudley and the captain E J Thompson. The professional was L Lewis. Entry fee was £3/3/0 and subs £2/2/0. Course records; amateur A H Bassano 79, professional J Braid 69. The 9 hole undulating and sporting course was laid out on former mining land which had been grassed. The new clubhouse had recently been opened. Visitors' fees 1/- a day.

In 1911 the secretary was Norman Fisher, Himley Road, Dudley. Fees as 1906. Membership of 120. Professional was E Venness. There was a tram service that passed the clubhouse. Sunday play without caddies.

Result of the February 1914 monthly medal; J Smith, 89-12-77; F G Helliwell, 85-7-78; P Dickinson, 93-13-80; A T Stevenson, 96-16-80; T McCaig, 89-7-82. 

Following is the result of the 36-hole “Challenge Cup” played in May 1914; E H Grainger, 169-20-149; F G Helliwell, 164-14-150; A T Stevenson, 183-32-151; J Smith, 176-24-152; W Pearson, 156 scratch; T McCaig, 171-14-157; T Allen, 187-28-159; F S King, 168-8-160; B Price, 195-34-161.

 

Dudley Golf Club. Location of the Russell's Hall golf course.

The course at Russells Hall, now completely built over.

Grid reference SP92955,89790, co-ordinates 392955,289790.