Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Robin Hood Golf Club, Hall Green, Birmingham.

Founded 1892.

Below is the result of a match played at Blackwell on Saturday 21st January 1899. 

Blackwell   Robin Hood  
Arthur E Swift 0 C S Green 1
H Clark 0 H H Monckton 3
T J Addenbrooke 5 P C Adams 0
S Clark 1 P H Manley 0
H Mitchell 5 A R Bowden 0
  11   4

Course records in 1900; amateur, C S Green 72, professional A Toogood 70.

In 1911 the secretary was J W Magrath, Old Warwick Road, Olton. The professional was A Tunley. There was a club membership of 160 which included 40 ladies. Entry fee £3/3/0 and subs £2/2/0.  The 9-hole sporting course with good greens and fairways was situated on the racecourse and parkland to the south of Lakey Lane with hazards of brooks, ditches and gorse. Visitors’ fees were; 1/- a day and 2/6 at weekend. 

It was reported in the Sports Argus in January 1914 that the members were rejoicing in the prospect of a new and first class course. A gathering of nearly 250 members and friends attended a social evening which was held at the Grand Hotel. During the evening Mr F Hanman proposed a toast “to the success of the club” Mr A R Gray, the president, responded. He stated that if the good weather continued they would be playing on the new course by midsummer.

The man placed in charge of the work on the new course was Harry Sturtwant who had a large group of men working with him. Several of the greens had already been laid and the report goes on to say that “when the Robin Hood members get to play the course at Gospel Farm they will be up against something very different to what they have been accustomed”. Looking at the map below, which shows Gospel Farm, it’s probable that this was an extension to the Hall Green course.

Below is the result of a match played at Brand Hall in May 1914.

Brand Hall   Robin Hood  
S White jun 0 F E Plater (2up) 1
F Litherhead (3&2) 1 P H Thompson 0
H G Edwards 0 F T Meaking (3&2) 1
H H Wheeler (2&1) 1 H Holmes 0
C F Monk (1up) 1 E C Mander 0
S Smith (5&4) 1 F C Duffy 0
G W Wright 0 L H Mander (at the 19th) 1
C W Wheeler (3&2) 1 J M Lee 0
N G Rigby 0 R Harrison (3&2) 1
A Fieldhouse (7&6) 1 W Allen 0
  6   4

It was reported in January 1915 that The City Rifle Corps were appealing for volunteers. It stated that “There is still room for 130 recruits, and persons from 18 to 38 years of age having sufficient reasons for not joining the colours are asked to hand in their names to the commanding officer at the old Robin Hood Golf Course, Hall Green”. This suggests that the course was given over for the war effort in 1915. 

The land was required for housing development in the 1930s and the club moved to its current location. The new course was once occupied by the Olton Golf Club from 1893 to 1903.

Robin Hood Golf Club, Hall Green, Birmingham. Location of the former golf course.

Robin Hood golf course at Hall Green in the early 1920s.

Grid reference SP11460,81230, co-ordinates 411460,281230.