Marston Green Municipal Golf Club, Birmingham.
In 1947 the 18 hole course was under construction at Marston Green and it was hoped to open nine holes during 1947. Marston Green was a council run course, initially nine holes it was extended to eighteen in the 1950s. As the nearby Birmingham airport development took place it reverted to nine holes. The course was laid out on the former Chapel House farm. The course was kept in splendid order by Harry Monkhouse the head greenkeeper who lived in Chapel House farm, Harrys wife ran the clubhouse catering.
Due to further airport extensions in 1975 Marston Green finally closed. As you pass the site on the main railway line from Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International small areas of the old course can still be identified, but it’s mostly overgrown. When Marston Green closed many of its members moved to the nearby Hatchford Brook Golf Club.
1949 the address was Elmdon Lane, Marston Green. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round. Marston Green (LMS) station was only minutes away. There was also a Midland Red Bus numbers 165&166 to the course.
Two professionals with the name of Adwick appear in the 1950s. Both played in professional tournaments. K W C Adwick also wrote a book called X-ray way to Master Golf.
In April 1950 W H Adwick, the professional at Marston Green, scored 83 in the Daily Mail qualifying competition at Woodhall Spa. He also played in the Penfold Tournament at Sutton Coldfield in June.
In April 1951 K W C (Ken) Adwick (Marston Green) had rounds of 76, 74, 78, 81 and 75 (total 384) in the Dunlop 2,000 guineas 90 hole tournament played at Little Aston.
In 1952 visitors’ fees were 2/- a round.
In May 1954 M F Jones (Marston Green) scored 78 in the first round of the assistant professionals’ tournament at Coombe Hill, Surrey.
In the early 1960s A Thompson was appointed professional. In 1964 Harry Monkhouse was the greenkeeper although there was a brief period during 1968/9 when the greenkeeper was W Trafford. Harry Monkhouse reappeared in 1970.
|1947/8||E S White, General Manager, Parks Department, Civic Centre, Broad Street, B'ham.|
|1950s||G E Ross, General Manager, Parks Department, Civic Centre.|
|1947||H Monkhouse (g)|
|1949-50s||W H Adwick (pro) H Monkhouse (g)|
|1960s||A Thompson (pro) W Trafford and H Monkhouse (g)|
|1970s||D Owen (pro) H Monkhouse (g)|
The Marston Green golf course finally disappeared in 1981. By then it was recorded as Marston Green Golf Club at Elmdon Lane. Telephone 021 779 2449. It had reverted to 9 holes with a total length of 4,930 yards and a SSS of 64.