Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Lydney Golf Club.

The club was founded in 1909.

The original 9-hole course was situated to the north west of the town on Watery Lane. A Hill, the professional at Rodway Hill, assisted with the layout of the course which was laid out on the Lydney Park Estate of Mr Chas Bathurst J.P. The second course in the 1920s was at Camp Farm. The club moved to its current location in 2011.

The following is an extract from an article from the Hereford Times Saturday 25th September 1909. “NEW CLUB FORMED AT LYDNEY – It is only a couple of months since the definite shape was given that if possible there should be a second golf course established for the Forest of Dean. Coleford has for two years enjoyed that privilege, and its nine-hole course is well spoken of, it as a membership of about 70. Professional assistance by White of Rodway Hill was given and this resulted in the marking out of a splendid nine-hole course on the farm of Mr W Mutton, of the Hoelens, Lydney, a fine holding on the Lydney Park Estate of Mr Charles Bathurst. The holes measure; Hole One - 243 yards; Two – 237 yards; Three – 529 yards; Four – 160 yards; Five – 78 yards; Six – 456 yards; Seven – 318 yards; Eight – 169 yards; Nine – 277 yards. The bogey score is 40. The direction of the course is from a point in the lowlands rising high stretching over hill and dale, and from the heights splendid views of the Severn Estuary and the Cotswolds in the background are secured. White declared the course to be one of the finest of its size he had ever seen.

Mr Charles Bathurst has consented to become president. The vice-presidents are; Dr Bowles, Capt. W B Marling and Richard Beaumont Thomas. Howard Howells is secretary, C S Freeman treasurer, and Dr Monsell, captain.

The inaugural ceremony was Saturday afternoon when the president declared the course open. Afterwards an exhibition match was played by Mr Popell of the Henbury Club, Mr Andrews and B H Taylor, Coleford. Mr Taylor returned a score of 38.”

A new pavilion was opened on Saturday 12th August 1911 by Charles Bathurst M.P., president of the club. The pavilion cost nearly £50 and Mr Bathurst kindly gave a cheque of £10 towards the cost. Also in attendance at the opening were; Dr Monson, club captain and Mr Gosling hon. secretary. 

 

Lydney Golf Club, Gloucestershire. Location of the first course at Watery Lane.

The early course and clubhouse at Watery Lane on the 1924 O.S Map. © Crown Copyright {1924}

 

Below is the result of a match played against Gloucester Golf Club at Brockworth Park on Thursday 31st July 1913. 

Gloucester   Lydney  
C F B Eddowes 1 H H Morse 0
W G J Titt 0 E S Purvis 1
A C Cook 1 L A Coxon 0
G F Baker 1 Dr Booth 0
L F Jones 1 A E Vick 0
J F Grainger 0 G T L Jones 1
F N Fox (half) 0 F Goulding (half) 0
A G Madder 0 F W Harris 1
P J Norman 1 Rev J C Besant 0
F W Lovesy (half) 0 W J Hughes 0
  5   3

The golf course was saved from the plough and military exercise during WW1 and the club seemed to struggle through, membership obviously suffered.

The annual meeting was held at the Institute in October 1919, Lord Bledisloe was in the chair. In his report the hon. secretary, E S Purves, said that the membership had increased considerably during the year the number was now 67 as against 45. He hoped that they had now turned the corner, and in the coming year he anticipated improvements to the course. The committee and officers were elected, Maurice Jarrett would be captain for the coming year.

Following the war, on Saturday 15th October 1921, Harry Vardon visited and played an 18-hole match against the resident professional, Frank Goulding, Harry Vardon won the match 4&3.

The club relocated to Crump Farm in 1924.    

The County Golf Meeting was held on the Brockworth course (now defunct) of the Gloucester Golf Club in May 1928. It was won by F W Jacob of Lydney with a 36-hole total of 151. He returned a score of 80 for his morning round, he performed much better after lunch setting a new amateur course record with a score of 71 (scratch score for the course was 74). His score of 71 was made as follows; Out – 3,4,5,4,4,4,3,5 4 = 36; Home – 5,4,3,5,4,4,4,4,2 = 35 total 71.

At the annual meeting in December 1930 it was stated by Mr William Jones, who presided at the meeting  “that the past season had been one of the most satisfactory in the history of the club, which had been progressing year by year”  A satisfactory balance sheet was produced which showed a balance in hand of £18/6s/1d. The following officers were elected; President, Lord Bledisloe; Captain, E J Evans; Secretary & Treasurer, C F Thomas; Committee – G R Gosling, W G Croot, M Jarrett, S Jarrett, E J Evans, G Phillips, F W Mullan, E S Purvis, F C Wasley, W Jones, Dr Monsell, E T Greenfield, J Ellison and L Coulton.

 

Lydney Golf Club, Gloucestershire. The annual meeting November 1935

From the Gloucester Journal Saturday November 30th 1935. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

There was a large attendance at the annual meeting in November 1940, Mr R E Willett presided. In his report, the secretary, S J Hotchkiss, stated that the club was determined to carry on and survive the war. He also confirmed the resignation of their professional/green-keeper, F Goulding, after 27 years service. The treasurer reported total revenue of £215, expenditure amounted to £178. Subscriptions during the year amounted to £151 with the remainder of the income had been received from competitions and social events. Trophy winners were; Bledisloe Challenge Cup and the Captain’s Prize finished with the same winner and runner-up – winner, A C Richards, net 67; runner-up, F Imm; Lydney Challenge Cup – winner, P F Foice, net73, runner-up, Mr Imm and Mr Hotchkiss tied on net 75. Competition results from the ladies’ section; Mrs G D Rudge won the Viscountess Bledisloe Challenge Cup and also the Coronation Cup; Mrs W Pudsey won a rose bowl; a competition for silver spoons was won by Miss A Williams. Club officials were appointed as follows; Viscount Bledisloe, president; Sir Evan Gwynne and William Jones, vice-presidents; L E Edwards, captain; F Imm, vice-captain; A T Padfield, treasurer; R E Willett, chairman; S J Hotchkiss, secretary; committee – H Voss, L Coulon, P F Foice, A C Richards, R E Willett, E W Rennolds, D K Russell and E B Jones.

Course records prior to WW2; amateur, E Purvis 69; professional, F Goulding 68; Nine-holes Par 70 and S.S.S 69. Club membership was 160. Visitors’ fees were 1s/6d a round; 2s a day; 6s a week; 10s/6d a month.

 

Lydney Golf Club, Gloucestershire. The sale of the clubhouse in 1943.

From the Gloucester Citizen Friday 10th September 1943. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

It was reported in the Gloucester Citizen in November 1948 that the Lydney club ceased to operate and became defunct during WW2.

The club is listed in the Golfer’s Handbook in 1957 when the secretary was R V Isaac, 23 Templeway, Lydney. The green-keeper was T Bevan. Membership was 110. Course records were as 1940.

In the mid 1960s the secretary was R C Aldridge, Greenmeadow, Lydney. The part time green-keeper was Mr Webb.

In the mid 1970s the secretary was F S J Pearce  and those long time course records still stood.

By the mid 1980s a new amateur record had been recorded by M A Barnard, 64. The secretary at this time was D A Barnard.  

The club moved to its current location south of the railway at Nass Lane in 2011.

The Google Map below shows the location of the Crump Farm course. The current course can be seen to the south.