Broad Oak Golf Club, The Downs, Bromyard, Herefordshire.
Founded in 1895, Broad Oak Golf Club was originally located in Worcestershire, this was before boundary changes were made. A 9 hole course situated on Bromyard Downs with fine views. Hazards consisted of whins, reeds and ditches.
Result of competitions held in January 1899, Gent’s - L G Childe-Freeman, 104-25-79; Rev E L Childe-Freeman, 100-14-86; D Macintosh, 101-15-86; R H Childe-Freeman, 118-28-90; Ladies’ – Mrs T B Hewiit, 103-17-86; Mrs Morgan, 129-24-105; Miss H Kempson, 143-28-115.
Below, result of a match played against Kidderminster on Monday 3rd April 1899.
|Rev W Sarjeantson||7||Dr R A Oldham||0|
|Col Prescott Decie||1||F C Jotham||0|
|Rev E Hewitt||0||H G Henderson||0|
|Rev J B Hewitt||4||S Hemingway||0|
|E Wight||7||M Newcomb||0|
|Rev E H Oldham||7||Rev R Perowne||0|
|Rev E L Childe-Freeman||1||P Barton||0|
|D MacIntosh||4||C A Mackintosh||0|
|R Bailey||0||C F Barton||3|
|Rev H G Morgan||0||F Ragg||0|
On Saturday 21st April 1899 Bromyard (Broad Oak) visited Ledbury to play the first match against the newly-formed Ledbury Golf Club. The result of the match below.
|Miss M Whatley & Rev C Black||3||Miss Kempson & C L Enderby||0|
|Miss F Whatley & Rev W P Matthews||0||Miss Wight & Col Prescott-Decie||1|
|Mrs Swift & Rev G Swift||0||Miss M Nicholl & Rev E Childe-Freeman||3|
|Miss Emily Scobell & C Kennedy Black||1||Miss Enderby & Rev E Hewitt||0|
|Miss P Scobell & R Masefield||1||Miss F L Enderby & Rev S McArthur||0|
|Miss M Whatley||0||Miss Wright||0|
|Mrs Swift||4||Miss Enderby||0|
|Miss Scobell||1||Miss F L Enderby||0|
|Miss F Whatley||0||Miss M Nicholl||0|
|Miss E Scobell||0||Miss H Kempson||4|
|Rev C Black||4||Col Prescott-Decie||0|
|R Masefield||2||Rev E Hewitt||0|
|C K Black||3||Rev E L Childe-Freeman||0|
|Rev G Swift||0||Rev S McArthur||0|
|Rev Matthews||0||C L Enderby||0|
In 1914 the club had a membership of 40. The amateur course record was held by the Reverend E H Oldham with a score of 35. No entry fee was payable at this time. Subs were £1/1/0 for single membership and £2/2/0 for family membership. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/6 a week, 10/6 a month and 15/- for six months. Sunday play was not allowed.
In 1923 and membership was 68, visitors’ fees were now 2/6 a day, 7/6 a week and 15/- a month. Sunday play was now allowed without caddies.
By 1932 membership had dropped to 30.
|1914||Reverend E L Childe - Freeman, Edwyn Ralph Rectory, Bromyard.||G Summers|
|1923||T V Philpott, Dumbledown Cottage, Bromyard.||F Moore|
|1932||G T S Sirrell, 25 Broad St.|