Ledbury Golf Club, Hereford.
There is evidence of an earlier Ledbury club. On Saturday 21st April 1899 Bromyard (Broad Oak) visited Ledbury to play the first match against the newly-formed Ledbury Golf Club. The result of the match below.
|Miss M Whatley & Rev C Black||3||Miss Kempson & C L Enderby||0|
|Miss F Whatley & Rev W P Matthews||0||Miss Wight & Col Prescott-Decie||1|
|Mrs Swift & Rev G Swift||0||Miss M Nicholl & Rev E Childe-Freeman||3|
|Miss Emily Scobell & C Kennedy Black||1||Miss Enderby & Rev E Hewitt||0|
|Miss P Scobell & R Masefield||1||Miss F L Enderby & Rev S McArthur||0|
|Miss M Whatley||0||Miss Wright||0|
|Mrs Swift||4||Miss Enderby||0|
|Miss Scobell||1||Miss F L Enderby||0|
|Miss F Whatley||0||Miss M Nicholl||0|
|Miss E Scobell||0||Miss H Kempson||4|
|Rev C Black||4||Col Prescott-Decie||0|
|R Masefield||2||Rev E Hewitt||0|
|C K Black||3||Rev E L Childe-Freeman||0|
|Rev G Swift||0||Rev S McArthur||0|
|Rev Matthews||0||C L Enderby||0|
Founded 1908. A 9 hole course, Sunday play was allowed. The station was 1 mile away. Local hotels were the Feathers and the Talbot.
|1914||H Down at the N&P Bank.|
|1923||Chas E Baker, 4 New Street, Ledbury.|
|1927/9||J Hatton, Oasteys Road, Ledbury.|
|1937/40||A Blakemore, 9 The Homend, Ledbury.||H Short|
In 1914 there was a membership of 30. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/1/0, for ladies, boys and girls under 17 and non residents’ subs were 10/6. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 4/- a week and 10/6 a month.
In 1923 membership was just 20. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month.
In the early 1930s club membership was 30.
Result of a Mixed foursomes competition played in May 1934; Miss L Tilley and Mr J W Oakes, net 76; Miss E R Oakes and Mr R S Tookey, net 80.
The competition for the Coronation Spoon was played in May 1937 and was won by Mr A R C Turner.
From 1937 to the club's final appearance in 1940 membership was 50 and Sunday play was allowed without caddies.