Milton Hill Golf Course, Steventon.
A 9 hole private course laid in the grounds of the Milton Hill estate by the eminent golf architect Tom Simpson in 1912.
The estate was purchased by the wealthy American Sir Mortimer Singer of the Singer Sewing Machine family in 1912. He made many alterations and improvements to the interior of the house. He was also a keen sportsman and as well as the golf course there was a bowling green and other sporting activities in the grounds to keep his many friends and family occupied when they visited.
During WW1 Sir Mortimer used the house as a military hospital, here wounded soldiers could recuperate and enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
Following WW2 the house was sold to the Esso Petroleum Company. In the 1970s it was purchased by the W H Smith company and used as a training centre.
Unfortunately little is known about the golf course, or how long it lasted.