Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Chastleton Hill Golf Club, Oxfordshire.

Founded in 1895

The course of 18-holes was situated about two miles from Chipping Norton and four miles from Moreton in the Marsh. It was laid out by D Brown, the Malvern professional. The turf  was good, the hazards were whins, quarries, cuttings and roads.

The course was officially opened on Thursday 14th November 1895 by Miss Brassey of Heythrop. She hit a fine opening shot, despite a strong head wind, that carried the whin hazard. A competition followed the opening which was won by Lord Encombe after a play off with Mr Cecil Samuda of Bruern Abbey.

Full result as follows; Lord Enscombe, 95 – 6 – 89; Mr C Samuda, 97 – 8 – 89; Col Wynter, 103 – 6 – 97; Mr George Goodeve, 103 – 6 – 97; Miss E Cheetham, 109 – 10 – 99; The Earl of Eldon, 102 – scr – 102; Mr W Chamberlayne, 127 -  15 – 112; Mr H F Gladwin, 121 – 10 – 111; Mr Adam Kennard, 121 – 8 – 113; Hon E Ponsonby, 125 – 7 – 118; Rev G A Littledale, 127 – 7 – 120; Miss May Brassey, 134 – 10 – 124; Mrs Becher, 136 – 12 – 124.

From 1913 to its final appearance in 1925 the secretary was C T Richardson, Chastleton House, Moreton in the Marsh. The 9-hole course was situated on high ground some 800ft above sea level. The turf was exceptionally good and the course was playable all year round.  Club membership of about 60. The entry fee was £1/1/0 the subs were £1/1/0. Visitors playing with a member paid 1/- a day and 2/6 a week. The station at Alderstrop was 2 ½ miles away. There were good inns at Moreton in the Marsh and Chipping Norton.

Chastleton Hill Golf Club, Oxfordshire, course location.

Location of the Chastleton Hill course.

Grid reference SP25810,28520, co-ordinates 425810,228520.