Witney Golf Club, Oxfordshire.
Founded 1898 when the secretary was H T Ravenor, Moorside, Witney, Oxon. A 9-hole course at Clementsfield with holes varying in length from 130 to 343 yards. Entry fee was £1/1/0 and subs £1/1/0, ladies 10/6. The course was about 1 mile from the station. Golf was short lived on this course and play was suspended.
The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Instituted 1898; Membership of 20; Hon. secretary - W D Hyde, 47 High Street, Witney; Captain, Rev H Wilson; Entrance fee nil and subs 10s/6d to £3/3s; 9-holes; professional, J Sherlock; Amateur record - Rev H Wilson, 33; Visitors' fees, 1s a day and 5s a week. The course is situated at Clements Field on the Oxford Road, and the 9-holes are all in one 17 acre field. The grass is rough, with clay subsoil. The hazards are a pond, hedges, underwood and a few trees. it is quite likely that by next year the club may have a better course.
The club was re-established in 1906 on a 9 hole course at Cogges Hill, laid out by the professional, J Sherlock. The following gentlemen were prominent in the reconstruction of the club, Hon secretary F C F Cuthbert, N J G Ravenor, F M Green, C Storey and Mr W Derby Hyde.
In 1914 the Secretary was R F Cuthbert, Solicitor, Church Green, Witney. The club had a membership of 60. Entry fees were £1/1/0. Subs for gents £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. There was no Sunday play. The Great Western Railway station was 2 miles away.
The Google Map below pinpoints the location of Cogges Hill.
Witney Golf Club disappeared after WW1.