Shifnal Golf Club, Shropshire.
There is evidence of a pre-WW1 nine-hole course at Lodge Hill.
The current club was founded in 1929, this was originally a 10-hole course at Lodge Hill/Brimstree Hill, the club moved to its present location at Decker Hill in 1963.
Below is the result of a match played at Walsall against Shifnal in May 1914.
|G B Gooding||1||A Lander||0|
|J R Boak||1||J R Phillips||0|
|B Gilbert junior||1||H Edge||0|
|G Nicklin||1||G P H Godfrey||0|
|H W Shipley||1||G F Gader||0|
|W H Fox||1||L Owen||0|
|J T Bunch||1||G Greene||0|
|J Pritchard||1||F Thompson||0|
It was reported in May 1939 that the course had been extended to 18-holes. A nine-hole course had existed for many years; in early 1938 a further 40 acres of land had been acquired; the course measured 5,300 yards. The opening of the new course was celebrated with a match in which Dr Tweddell, of Stourbridge partnered Stanley Lunt of Moseley, against C Stowe of Penn, and K R Frazier, of Chadwick Manor. Tweddell and Lunt won by 2&1. It was also reported that there had been a substantial increase in club membership.
In the early 1950s the secretary was P N Wadlow, Wingfield, Shifnal, the professional and green-keeper was P R Rudge. Club membership of 170. Course records; amateur - G D Nook, 74; professional - G F Reynolds, 68. It was recorded as being a 10-hole course with a Par of 74 and SSS of 73. Visitors' fees were 2s/6d a day; 3s Saturday and 5s Sundays.