Wellington Golf Club (Steeraway), Shropshire.
The Wellington Golf Club was founded 1905.
Originally the club played on a 9-hole, bogey 78 golf links attached to Wrekin College (see separate entry). The links was intended mainly for the use of pupils and masters at the college, but some locals were allowed to play for a fee. The club wanted to have their own course, so moved in 1907 to a 9-hole course at Steeraway Farm, Wellington. There was no clubhouse there, but the farmer’s wife provided teas. Professionals at the Wellington Club were; 1905/06 John Cuthbert and from 1909-1911 Charles Lloyd, who had been professional at Burton on Trent from 1901 – 1903.
In 1909 the secretary was William Crosskey, Gladtheim, Constitutional Hill, Wellington. The club stayed at Steeraway until 1910, and played matches against clubs from Coalbrookdale, Wem, Broseley, Plowden, Much Wenlock and Lightmoor. It’s hard to believe that these smaller towns and villages had their own courses. If anyone recognises and can help with these clubs and courses please contact us. Wellington played against Lightmoor in October 1908, and the course was reported to be too short and small, and in need of improvement.
In December 1911 the Wellington professional, C Lloyd, accepted a position at the Mid-Glamorganshire Golf Club.
Golfer v Angler. A novel golf contest took place on the Wellington course on Sunday 2nd November 1913. Mr Rupert May, a former captain of the Wellington Golf Club, played Mr Mackinlay, an angler, Mr May used golf clubs and a ball in the ordinary way, and Mr Mackinlay made casts from a reel on a fishing rod, using a two and a half ounce weight. The golfer won, Mr May scoring 87, against Mr Mackinlay 102. Mr Mackinlay's best cast was 106 yards. The world record at that time was 117 yards.
Mr Harry Shepherd was in the chair at the annual meeting of shareholders of the Wellington Golf Club (Limited) in June 1914. The club had carried out the recommendations of Harry Vardon and certain improvements had been made to the course. New greens had been made and the course in general had greatly improved.
Results of the August 1914 monthly medals; Senior - W Y Slaney, 87-10-77; Dr A E White, 92-14-78; Junior - E T Morgan, 100-20-80; H P Webb, 98-17-81.
Although it was often referred to as Wellington Golf Club up to WW1 it later became known as Wrekin Golf Club.