Whitchurch Golf Club, Shropshire.
The club was founded in 1908.
A 9-hole course on sand and gravel. The station was 2 miles away. Sunday play was allowed without caddies. Local hotels were the Victoria, Swan and the Raven.
|1914||S Bowler, The Mount, Wirswall, Whitchurch.||? Griffith (pro)|
|1923||R Barrow Jones, 2 Linden Avenue, Whitchurch.||W Thornton (gk)|
|1920s||G M Lee, Chester Rd, Whitchurch.||F J Walker (pro&gk)|
|1930/35||R C Smith, “Stoneleigh”, Sedgeford, Whitchurch.||W P McDonald (pro&gk)|
|1936/40||J G Lusty, 38 Edgeley Rd, Whitchurch.||W P McDonald (pro&gk)|
In 1914 there was a membership of 100. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/11/6 and ladies £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees 1/- a day, 3/6d a week and 10/- a month.
The picture below shows a couple of golfers, the green-keeper to the left, with his hand mower, and probably the "clubhouse" to the right.
During the mid and late 1920s membership was between 80 and 100. Visitors’ fees 2/6d a day, 1/6d after 5pm and
From 1930 to 1935 the professional and greenkeeper was W P McDonald who also held the course record of 73. Membership had risen to 150 by this period. Visitors’ fees 2/6d a day (2/- after 5pm Summer, 2pm Winter), 10/- a week, 25/- a month.
During 1936 to the club’s final appearance in 1940 the professional and greenkeeper W P McDonald set a new course record of 72.