Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Kingston Hill Golf Club, Stafford. (1914 - 1966)

Appeared prior to WW1 as Stafford Artisans Golf Club and played on Stafford Common. (The earlier Staffordshire Golf Club also played on Stafford Common, see separate entry)

In the early 1920s, about 40 acres of land was rented from Lord Shrewsbury for a new 9-hole course and this became Kingston Hill.

The club continued until 1966 when a property company purchased the land for building purposes. Sunday play was allowed without caddies. The station at Stafford was about 1 ½ miles away.

The course can be seen on the Britain From Above links below.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw047332?search=golf&ref=416


http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw047333?search=golf&ref=417

  

  Secretary Professional/Green-keeper
1925 T Martin, 10 Park Street, Stafford. J Hutchings (p)
1933 B Stevens, 25 Bedford Avenue, Stafford. J Hutchings (p)
1935 H A Lee, 95 Tixdale Road, Stafford. J Hutchings (p&g)
1940 As above E Shaw (p)
1947-50s W G Wilkes, 198 Stone, Road, Stafford.  
1963 C W Peaple, 13 Tixall Road, Stafford.  
1966 B G Wilson, 273 Eccleshall Road, Stafford  
1960s (late) W R Marsh  

In 1925 there was a membership of 130 gents and 70 ladies. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day and 3/6 a week.

On Saturday 14th July 1934 Kingston Hill and Stafford Castle played return matches, the first teams playing on the Castle course and the second teams at Kingston Hill.

Stafford Castle Golf Club   Kingston Hill Golf Club  
W Sinfield  1 A Ritchie 0
R Jones 0 S Jenkinson 1
W Pinkney 1 I G Mudie 0
A Jackson 1 C E Pover 0
A McLaren 0 P R Anderson 0
K Underhill 1 H T A Tregear 0
S Peatfield 0 H Hamilton 1
F C Hunt 0 J Ashton 0
Mr Kamp 1 T Addison 0
W Went 1 J Paton 0
  6   2

 

Kingston Hill Golf Club   Stafford Castle Golf Club  
A Chilton 1 C E Robinson 0
B Jones 1 W Bailey 0
P Ashton 0 E C Kenworthy 0
R Simpson 1 F B Woolley 0
H A Lee 0 J Holt 1
H Pacey 0 E Mortiboy 1
G Haines 0 B Collett 0
W Burton 0 T Bradley 1
H Nuttall 0 E Desbreulais 1
  3   4

A 36-hole bogey competition was played on Sunday 2nd September 1934 for the cup offered by Arthur Simpson, president of the club. There were over 20 entries the winner being E D Berry, his closest rival was B S Jones the holder. 

Below is the result of a ladies' match against Stafford Castle played in September 1934 on the Castle course.

Stafford Castle Ladies' Golf Club   Kingston Hill Ladies' Golf Club  
Mrs Owen 1 Miss Barber 0
Miss Mottram 1 Mrs F C Brown 0
Mrs Attwood 0 Miss N Hill 1
Miss Jones 1 Miss Cowley 0
Mrs Collier 0 Mrs Wilkinson 1
Mrs Perridge 1 Miss Hourd 0
Miss Collier 1 Mrs Green 0
       

Below is another match played in September 1934 at Kingston Hill against Stone.

Kingston Hill Ladies' Golf Club   Stone Ladies' Golf Club  
Miss Barber 1 Miss Swinnerton 0
Mrs F C Brown 1 Mrs Kelsall 0
Mrs B S Stevens 0 Miss Shaw 1
Miss N Hill 1 Miss Carr 0
Miss K F Howie 1 Mrs Johnson 0
Mrs E Wilkinson 1 Miss Lockett 0
  5   1

In 1935 visitors’ fees 2/- a day, 7/6d a week and 15/- a month.

In 1940 the course had a SSS of 68 and par 70 and a membership of 180.

In 1947 and the early 1950s membership had reduced to 100. Visitors’ fees were now 2/- a day, 3/- on Sundays.

From the mid 1950s to the early 60s the SSS had been revised to 65, membership had risen to 110. Visitors’ fees 3/- a day, 5/- on Sunday, 3/- after 5pm.

In 1963 the length of the course was 3,250yds.

In 1966 the course measured 4,884yds, membership had increased to 225. The amateur course record holder was P Shaw (64). Visitors’ fees 5/- a day, 10/- at weekend and Bank Holiday, 5/- after 5pm.

Just prior to closure in the late 1960s the course measured 5,224yds. Joint course record holders, P Shaw and D Scullion junior 64. Visitors’ fees were £1.

 

Kingston Hill Golf Club, Stafford. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the Kingston Hill course. Grid reference SJ94050,23520, co-ordinates 394050,323520.