Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Warwick Borough Golf Club. 

On this website there are separate entries for the three defunct Warwick clubs; The Warwickshire Golf Club founded in 1886 (changed name to Warwickshire County Golf Club in 1912) closed prior to WW2; Warwick Borough Golf Club from 1911 to 1919; Warwick Golf Club existed between the two wars. 

The following report appeared in the Warwick & Warwickshire Advertiser on Saturday 14th October 1911. "Warwick Borough Golf Club - The Official Opening will take place on Thursday next, October 19th, at 2.30 pm., at the first tee, near the Railway Bridge, Cape Road. His Worship the Mayor of Warwick has kindly consented to open the club. After the opening there will be a match between the Warwickshire Golf Club and the Warwick Borough Golf Club."

The course was on Saltisford Common on land adjoining the prison.

 

Warwick Borough Golf Club. Location of the course on Saltisford Common.

Saltisford Common and prison, location of the Borough course, is shown on the above map.

 

The Borough Club struggled during the war. As early as November 1914 the club held a meeting to discuss the advisability of closing the links during the winter months owing to debt, and the risk of it rising. It continued as a club, though, until June 1919 when a meeting unanimously resolved to wind it up as ‘most of the members have joined the new Warwick Golf Club and that, consequently, there is no need for the old one’. They also resolved to hand over their trophies to the new club.

The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former Borough golf course.