Coventry Hearsall Golf Club.
Founded 1894. The original 9 hole course was situated on Hearsall Common which brought with it the usual problems of grazing animals, picnickers and walkers. Building was not allowed on common land, so in stepped George Gilbert a founder member who owned land adjoining the course and he allowed a clubhouse to be built on the fields.
The club continued on the common until 1911 when it moved to Beechwood Avenue, its present site.
On Tuesday 9th October 1900 Coventry Hearsall entertained Ward End on Hearsall Common, it was the first match of the season for the Ward End Club. Result below.
|Mr Sanderson||4||J E Burgum||0|
|Mr Morris||0||W Heath||3|
|A Hill||0||P Campbell||2|
|Mr Smith||0||A W Robson||4|
|Mr Worwood||1||H V Titmus||0|
|Mr Ward||0||J Westwood||1|
|Mr Makepeace||0||H W Pooler||5|
Below is the result of a match played on Saturday 20th July 1901 at Coventry against Alcester.
|H E Cashmore||0||W Gardner||1|
|Harry Smith||7||E Jephcott||0|
|W E Ward||0||G Lightfoot||5|
|A J Makepeace||7||J Yates||0|
|J Hudson||7||R G Coathope||0|
Result of a first team match played on the Hearsall Common course against Ladbrook Park Golf Club in October 1911.
|C D Pole||0||E Spencer (4&2)||1|
|C E Cox (2&1)||1||W McAlpine||0|
|L Cartwright (5&4)||1||G Longland||0|
|W J Wormell||0||W C Belvoir (5&4)||1|
|A G Hadden (4&2)||1||H C Church||0|
|G H Frost (3&2)||1||W J Riley||0|
|J McCuaig||0||W F Cutler (6&5)||1|
|G W Harriden (half)||0||O H Russ (half)||0|
|W Franks||0||E A Taylor (5&4)||1|
|R Wormell (2&1)||1||A B Matthews||0|
The second team played at Ladbrook Park, result below.
|A Hill||0||C J Kaye (3&2)||1|
|W G Stewart||0||W Bennett (2&1)||1|
|F H Thomason (3&2)||1||J Holt||0|
|H R Grifffin (3&2)||1||J Budge||0|
|E Larkam (2&1)||1||D Sharp||0|
|W Harvey Gibbs (4&3)||1||M Holmes||0|
|H K Patterson (5&4)||1||T D Griffiths||0|
|E Squires||0||J Simpson (2up)||1|
|T H Dean (5&3)||1||J Baker||0|
|H B Griffin (6&4)||1||H A Bullock||0|