Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Upton-upon-Severn Golf Club, Worcestershire.

Founded 1911.  The original 9 hole course of 3,000 yards was designed by George Cawsey professional at the Worcestershire Golf Club. Secretary and Hon. Treasurer duties were jointly shared by Charles Farr and James B. Hargraves, The greenkeeper was Mr Roberts. The course closed in 1914 and the Club was disbanded in 1921.

Below is the result of a match played at Upton against Evesham Golf Club in March 1914. 

Upton-upon-Severn   Evesham  
W F Farr 0 J Custance (1up) 1
J O Wilson (2up) 1 J G Baker 0
Major C J Coventry (4&2) 1 E W Beck 0
R Woodyatt (3&2) 1 H Richardson 0
G Guilding (2&1) 1 H T Smith 0
G C S Harris (6&4) 1 J G Rusher 0
P Freeman (6&4) 1 C Hunt 0
W H Mizen (half) 0 A W Hudson (half) 0
  6   1

The club was re-founded in 1933, at the AGM the secretary of the club, Mr George. P. Mitchell, the Headmaster of Upton School described the new course as follows, "The course is in good playing condition. The fairways are narrow and the rough is terrifying, but, with the exception of three pools and a ditch, there are no other hazards and no one can deny that the course is a fine test of straight hitting."

Length and par of the nine hole course in the 1930s; Holes 1&10, 260 yards, par 4; 2&11, 296, 4; 3&12, 396, 4; 4&13, 138, 3; 5&14, 456, 5; 6&15, 90, 3; 7&16, 350, 4; 8&17, 126, 3; 9&18, 260, 4. Total length of the course (18 holes) 4,744 yards.

The secretary in the mid 1930s  was T P Farr, High Street, Upton-on-Severn, the greenkeeper was F Hayes. 9 holes with a membership of 95. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day.

Result of the 1938 February medal; S Wainwright, 78-9-69; W Bettany, 85-12-73; P W Mills, 91-18-73; D P Morgan, 99-24-75; L R D’Arcy Fisher, 92-16-76.  

Result of the April 1938 monthly medal; V E Watson, 83-18-65; D P Morgan, 93-24-69; W Bettany, 84-12-72; S Wainwright, 85-9-76; T P Farr, 83-6-77; L R D’Arcy Fisher, 94-16-78.

Result of the Martin Cup played in August 1938; semi-final - D P Morgan beat S Wainwright 2&1; J W Lewis beat M F S Jewell; final – D P Morgan beat J W Lewis 4&3. Result of the Captain’s Prize played in August 1938; semi-final – W Bettany beat T P Farr 4&3; D P Morgan beat F W Clive 5&4; final – D P Morgan beat W Bettany 5&4.

The annual meeting was held at the Star Hotel on Wednesday 12th July 1939. In the absence of the President, Major M F S Jewell, the Captain of the club, Capt H A Hammond, was in the chair. He was accompanied by; Capt D P Morgan; T P Farr (Hon. Secretary); J W Burton (Hon Treasurer); W Harvey; A C Briden; S Wainwright; C E Pearce; J W Simms; I O Wilson; J W Gee; W Bettany; P W Mills and J T Knoyle. Presenting the balance sheet, Mr Burton, who took over as treasurer when Mr F Christy left the district, stated that they had finished the season £7 better off than they began. He thought that the position was satisfactory, subscriptions had increased but green fees were down a little. Mr Tom Farr, who was to resign as secretary due to a recent bereavement, in his report said that membership was now at 88, a decrease of just one over the last year. The course had been lengthened and the SSS was now fixed at 69. After paying tribute to the efforts of Mr Wainwright, Mr Christy and Mr Burton, the secretary said the club professional, L Whiting, had put in a lot of good work.

Mr Farr asked all members to try and increase the membership saying it would be impossible to carry on with a lower membership and it would be a great shame if the club had to close down.

The following officials were appointed; President, Major M F S Jewell; Captain, Mr W Bettany; Treasurer, Mr J W Burton; Secretary, Mr A C Briden.

Following are the prize winners for the year; Coventry Cup – J W Burton; Martin Cup – Capt D P Morgan; Monthly Tankards – Mr L R D’Arcy Fisher (2); Mr W Bettany; Capt D P Morgan (2); Mr T P Farr.

The committee were to consider the construction of bunkers on the course, to supplement the present natural hazards.

In September 1939 it was reported that several members had been called up and most of the others were engaged in ARP duties and other duties of national importance. The committee had decided to continue to keep the course as playable as was possible but it would be difficult due to the current circumstances.       

In the club's final year in 1940 the secretary was A C Briden, Midland Bank Ltd, Upton on Severn, the professional and greenkeeper was L W Whiting. 9 holes with a SSS of 69 and Par 70 membership was now 82. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round and 2/6 a day. Sunday play was allowed. The station at Upton-on-Severn was ½ mile away.

 

Upton-upon-Severn Golf Club, Worcestershire. Location of the former golf course.

Location of the Upton upon Severn course.

Many thanks to Simon Wilkinson, whose work on the history of Upton on Severn golf course and subsequent assistance has proved invaluable.