Pelaw and District Golf Club. (1914 - 1920s)

Thee course was originally used by Heworth Golf Club but following a disagreement Heworth moved to the south of Leam Lane, the clubs current location.

The following report is From the Newcastle Journal 14th December 1914. "PELAW AND DISTRICT GOLF CLUB -  This club held its dinner and distribution of prizes on Saturday evening at the Royal Hotel, Gateshead. Frederick J Crowest was in the chair, and distributed the prizes. The Palmer Cup was secured for the next twelve months by Mr R Cook, he also won the Crowest Bowl; Robert B Foster will hold the Higginbottom Vase for the coming year; The Kirkley Medal, Captain's Prize and 18 to 25 handicap were won by T Henderson, J G Smith and J Brown respectively. The proceedings were purposefully quiet on account of the war, but the musical arrangements were excellent, and rendered more so by the fine singing of Mr Duncanson of Durham Cathedral with other gentlemen."

Pelaw was appearing on O.S maps through the 1920s and 1930s but little has been found about the clubs history or when it actually closed.

 

Pelaw Golf Club, Durham. Location of the Pelaw course.

Grid reference for the Pelaw course, NZ30300,61100, co-ordinates 430300,561100.