Burnopfield Golf Club, Durham.
Founded 1903. A 9 hole course situated on high ground with plenty of variety and natural bunkers. The station at Rowlands Gill was 1 ½ miles away. Newcastle buses passed the entrance to the course.
In 1914 there was membership of 55. The entry fee was 5/- . Subs for gents were 15/- and ladies 2/6. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 7/6 a month. Sunday play was not allowed this time.
Below is the result of a match played against Newcastle Claremont at Burnopfield on Saturday 18th April 1914.
|Dr Benson||1||G Thomson||0|
|A Clarke||1||R Thomson||0|
|W Bishop||0||S Maugham||1|
|N Clarke||0||S Pyle||1|
|G Smith||0||J Haddon||1|
|A Hancock||0||L Pierson||1|
|J Middleton||0||J Kinghorn||1|
|W Kirkup||1||R Dobson||0|
|Rev Barnes||0||D Jobling||1|
|A Neill||0||R Jobling||1|
|R Nielson (half)||0||J Fairless (half)||0|
|A Swallow||0||D Thomson||1|
|T Trewick||0||J Boag||1|
The club next appeared in the mid 1920s when visitors’ fees were 5/- a month. Sunday play was allowed.
In 1936/7 there was a membership of 80. There was a licensed clubhouse.
|1914||N Clarke junior|
|1920s||S Anderson, Tanfield, Tantobie.||J Forster|
|1932-35||J W Batty, 2 Park Terace, Burnopfield SO.|
|1936/7||William D Bishop, Beechwood Gardens, Lobley Hall, Gateshead.|
|1940||W F McCullagh, Castle Garth, Newcastle.||G Brown|
The clubs final appearance was 1940 when the 9 hole course had a SSS of 74. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 5/- a week.