Durham City Golf Club.
Founded 1887. The first course opened at Pinkerknowle in 1888, originally a six hole course it was extended to nine holes in 1893. The club continued at Pinkerknowle until 1927 when it moved to Mount Oswald. Just before 1974 the landowner at Mount Oswald wanted to sell the land for housing development and gave notice to DCGC to quit (hence the move to Littleburn). The owner was unable to obtain planning permission for building, so effectively told DCGC they didn’t have to move after all. However, DCGC took the decision to move to the new site.
On Thursday 25th March 1897 the first match played between Seaton and Durham took place on the Seaton links, result below.
|Seaton||Holes up||Durham||Holes up|
|G Pyman||5||H E Thomas||0|
|C J Bunting||0||Dr E S Robson||1|
|A Mann||0||G C Roberts||6|
|J Robson||7||R Jones||0|
|M H Horsley||8||H W Roberts||0|
|N Gordon||4||F W Cluff||0|
|E W Walker||8||J A Sesbie||0|
|Rev E Sykes||5||F W Miller||0|
The spring meeting was held over the Pinkerknowle course on Thursday May 2nd 1912, result as follows; A Mangles, 95-18-77; W G Morant, 96-18-78; J N Slack, 100-22-78; M Hutchinson, 85-6-79; Rev D Jones, 90-9-81; W Imrie, 99-16-83; H Liddell, 99-16-83; C Adamson, 98-14-84; C F Hardener, 98-14-84; W R Wilson, 102-18-84; J L Mawson, 105-20-85; H C Rollin, 108-20-88; K C Bayley, 107-18-89; H E Thomas, 95-5-90; R M Forster, 102-12-90; S V Tinsley, 111-18-93; A W Forster, 114-18-96. There were six no returns in the windy weather.
Mr William Henry Oliver, solicitor, died in October 1913. He was one of the original members of the Durham City Club.
In February 1914 the secretary was W Imrie and the treasurer E J Pearce. Club membership had increased from 118 to 130.
Following is the result of the Club Cup played for at the autumn meeting on Saturday 3rd October 1914; J L Mawson, 93-17-76; W Imrie, 89-10-79; H Jevons, 100-18-82; D H Brown, 92-9-83; M Roberts, 104-18-86; H D Winchester, 106-20-86; T E Hill, 91-4-87; J N Slack, 101-14-87; K C Bayley, 105-18-87; W G Gradon, 105-18-87; A Cheyne, 107-20-87.
At the spring meeting in May 1919 R M Forster won the president’s scratch medal with a score of 88. J G Raine won the Club Cup with a score of 90-13-77.
At the annual meeting in January 1922 a successful year was reported. There was a balance in hand and the clubs total credit was £334/7s/9d. Mr A M Hutchinson was elected president. It was decided to increase the entrance fee to £2/2/0 with the subscriptions being the same amount, ladies paid half fees. A proposal to extend the course to 18-holes was deferred to a general meeting to be held in February.
In January 1928 it was announced that the club had appointed Harry C Ross as professional. He was previously professional at Chester-le-Street and he held a diploma from the Scottish Greenkeepers’ Association. The new professional had considerable experience in the laying out golf courses and was at present employed in the re-construction of the South Shields course, having recently carried out similar work at Boldon. He had also carried out alterations to the design of a James Braid designed course near Glasgow.
A start was soon to be made on the construction and layout of an 18-hole course for the Durham City club on the recently acquired estate of Mount Oswald, formerly the residence of the late Captain J E Rogerson.
It was anticipated that nine-holes would be ready for play by early summer. The members had responded well to the appeal for share capital, £1,000 having been already subscribed or promised.
The secretary at the club at Mount Oswald in 1929 was Mr E F Lee.
In the final of a foursomes competition played in June 1929 J R W Rae and T R Parry beat J Gray and R Bailes by 3 and 1.
In June 1930 the competition for the “W H Wood Memorial Cup” was played. The prize for the best gross score was won by G C Raynor with a total of 162 (82+80), and W Medley with a net total of 137 secured the cup, leading scores; W Medley (19), 69+68; G C Nuttall (12), 69+71; T Wilson (12), 73+69; J N Adams (18), 69+74; J W Wood (22), 73+72; T R Parry (12), 72+74; A Reay (13), 71+75; G C Raynor (8), 74+72; W R Slack (20), 73+73; T Robertson (22), 70+77; D Robinson (18), 74+73; T Colpitts (12), 76+71; E V Summerscales (12), 71+76; R Hedley (14), 71+76.
The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former Pinkerknowle course.