Blyth Golf Club, Northumberland.
Blyth Golf Club has occupied three courses since its inception in 1905. The first course was situated on the links amongst the sand dunes to the south of the town. It was a nine hole course which was leased from Lord Ridley. The MOD commandeered the links for defence purposes during WW1. The second course, started in about 1916, was on land adjoining the railway station at Newsham. There was an entrance from Plessey Road, and it was known as the Old Course. This was the clubs home until the new course was laid out in New Delaval in 1976. The Old Course continued to be used until about 1981 when it was closed due to the sale of the land for housing development.
Thanks to John Hall, Golf Club Manager at Blyth for his help regarding the course locations.
Result of the monthly Bessie Thompson medal for August 1908; Winner, Mr J A Simpson, runner-up, Mr C Pill.
Following WW2 the secretary was T P Lynn, Craigower, Newsham Road, Blyth. The greenkeeper was W Rutherford. A 12 hole course with a SSS of 71. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round, 2/6 a day.
In 1975 the secretary was H G Kirkland. 12 holes of 5,720 yards and a SSS of 67. Amateur course record, D Faulder 68. Membership of 300. Visitors’ fees 55p a round.
In 1981the secretary was W Swann and the professional K Saint. The last recorded amateur course record at the Old Course, R Wingfield 64. Visitors' fees £1.50p.