Haltwhistle Golf Club, Northumberland.

The club and course opened in 1924. 

The new course was formally opened by the popular actress, Miss Violet Loraine (Mrs E R Joicey.) who drove the first ball.  

 

Haltwhistle Golf Club, Northumberland. Opening of the golf course.

Colonel Edward Joicey tees up the ball for his wife to hit the opening shot. (Courtesy London Golf Heritage @LdnGolfHistory)

 

From 1929 to the clubs closure in about 1938 the secretary was J Keen, Hill Crest, Haltwhistle. The green-keepers were C Paisley (late 1920s) W Turnbull and T Jarvie (1931on).

A 9-hole course with a membership of about 100. Visitors’ fees 1/6 a day and 6/- a week. Sunday play was not allowed.

The station at Haltwhistle was ¾ mile away.

We have, as yet, been unable to find the exact location of the golf course. We know it was three-quarters of a mile from the station which is pinpointed on the Google Map below. If anyone knows the location of the former course please “Contact Us” via the website homepage.