Claremont Golf Club, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
The club was founded in 1908 and played on the Town Moor.
The final of the President’s Cup was played over the Town Moor course in September 1910, result; J Philipson, 85-8-77; G Chambers, 89-12-77; G Little, 83-4-79; R Dobson, 99-18-81; W Maughan, 94-8-86; B Hutchinson, 89-2-87; J Rush, 103-14-89; J Littlefair, 109-20-89. Philipson and Chambers were to play off for the prize
Below is the result of a match played at Burnopfield on Saturday 18th April 1914.
|Dr Benson||1||G Thomson||0|
|A Clarke||1||R Thomson||0|
|W Bishop||0||S Maugham||1|
|N Clarke||0||S Pyle||1|
|G Smith||0||J Haddon||1|
|A Hancock||0||L Pierson||1|
|J Middleton||0||J Kinghorn||1|
|W Kirkup||1||R Dobson||0|
|Rev Barnes||0||D Jobling||1|
|A Neill||0||R Jobling||1|
|R Nielson (half)||0||J Fairless (half)||0|
|A Swallow||0||D Thomson||1|
|T Trewick||0||J Boag||1|
Result of the second round of the Claremont Golf Club Calcutta Cup, played over the Town Moor course during May 1914; S Maughan (3) beat J Kinghorn (4); G Little (1) beat H Mauchlin (10); W C Thompson (4) beat D Jobling (2); G Yearnshire (2) beat G Renwick (10); J Fairless (6) beat H Hall (10); T E Hutchinson (2) beat G Chambers (5); Jos Hutchinson (6) beat J Tweddle (5); E Sullivan (scratch) beat A E McDonnell (9). In the semi-final; E Sullivan (scratch) beat T E Huthinson (2); W C Thompson (4) beat S Maughan (3).
In the final played on Saturday 6th June 1914 E Sullivan beat W C Thompson by 2&1.
The professional from 1915 to 1919 was G Chambers.
In 1922 the secretary was T McDougall. An 18 hole course with a membership of 108. Amateur course record held by R Thompson with a score of 69. The Central Station was 1/½ miles away. Trams passed the clubhouse.
From 1926 to 1947 the address was Claremont Golf Club, 10a Hunters Road. The secretary was E Maughan. 18 holes with a membership of 55. Amateur course record held by R Thompson with a score of 68. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day. The Central station was 1/½ miles away. Trams passed the clubhouse.
The Claremont Golf Club, who played on the Town Moor, had disappeared by 1951.
Golf on The Town Moor, Newcastle, started as early as the 1890s, with both Newcastle and Newcastle United Clubs playing their early golf on the site.