East Bierley Golf Club.
Golf was first played at East Bierley in 1902. There was no recognised course in the early years with a few locals playing in a carefree way on a field at Toftshaw Farm. The farmer was very obliging and when the number of golfers started to increase he agreed that a club could be formed. In 1904 the Toftshaw Golf Club was set up. The course was eventually extended from five holes to nine-holes with the members carrying out all the necessary maintenance work on the course. A farm outbuilding was utilised as a clubhouse. Subscriptions were £1 with the members often making donations to help with costs.
Below is the result of a match played at Horbury & District Golf Club (now defunct) in May 1922.
|Horbury & District Golf Club||East Bierley Golf Club|
|J H Robinson||0||E R Haley||1|
|P M Brook (half)||0||J Scott (half)||0|
|H Moss||1||H Horsfall||0|
|R Garner||1||F Broadley||0|
|A H Rhodes||0||B Ingham||1|
|J W Wilby (half)||0||G R Verity (half)||0|
|W R Lyons (half)||0||J H Margetts (half)||0|
|G H Townend||1||C D Buckle||0|
|H Wilkinson||1||H L Brook||0|
|L Brook||1||R C Gillatt||0|
|A Longthorne||0||S G Clough||1|
|A Oxley||1||A Gissing||0|
|J Smith||1||H Dunn||0|
|B W Illingworth||0||J Cromwell||1|
|F Hanson (professional)||0||C Forge (professional)||1|
The club moved to their present location at South View Road in the 1920s.