Bradford St Andrew's Golf Club.
From the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer Saturday 18th April 1891 - A Golf Club for Bradford - The members of the Bradford St Andrew's Society, at their meeting on Thursday night, resolved to form a golf club, to be called the Bradford St Andrew's Golf Club. Grounds for the links have been obtained at Baildon Moor from Colonel Maude, and arrangements for commencing play will be made as speedily as possible. The following gentlemen have consented to become patrons of the club; Mr H Byron Reed, M.P; Mr E W Hammond, Mayor of Bradford; Colonel Maude and Mr Edward Salt. The following officers were elected; Captain - Mr Robert Macmillan; hon. treasurer - Mr G H Douglas; hon. secretary - Mr P Kerr Chesney jun., 32 Market Street, Bradford; committee - J Moncrieff, S Cowan, D Stewart; T G Greig, George Battye, C Mather. The membership will not be confined to members of the St Andrew's Society.
On Saturday 18th July 1891 a match was played on the Baildon Moor course with teams selected by the Captain ( R Macmillan) and the Secretary (P K Chesney jun.)
The first monthly handicap for the silver medal presented by M Rhodes & Son Ltd. was played on Saturday 21st November 1891, scores; J H Ackrord, 179-46-133; S Cowan, 165-30-135; Dr Dunlop, 141-22-119; G W Douglas, 156-22-134; O Firth, 142-14-128; T G Greig, 113 scratch; D Gardiner, 195-36-159; T M Holmes, 133-14-119; Dr Macvie, 99 scratch; H Steele, 114-4-110; C E Scott, 187-36-151; E R Wethey (Winner), 91 scratch; J W Young, 211- 36-175; R Bacchus, 203-36-167. There were several no returns.
Also at this time the club arranged to admit lady members, a number had already "taken advantage of the privilege, and a few of them went out on Saturday playing over the same course as the members of the sterner sex." The game was beginning to take hold in the district and the club was looking forward to a successful career. The course had been enlarged to nine-holes, and operations for "improving the course by laying putting greens and teeing grounds will shortly be commenced."
Bradford St Andrew's changed its name and became Bradford Golf Club in 1894. The club continued to play at Baildon until 1899 when it moved to its present site at Hawksworth Lane.