Bedale Golf Club, North Yorkshire.
Founded 1894. Original course was very near to present location. Laid out on lawn and park owned by Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse and 2 adjacent fields owned by Mr George Carter. Declined during WW1. Re-formed in 1919 on original course.
In 1921 the club moved to Burrill Road, on land rented for £3 a year from Mr Phillips of Ash Bank. Greenkeeper/professional from October 1928 was John Raper.
In October 1931, the club received notice to quit the land by 6 April 1932. Moved to new location at Firby Road.
It was not possible for the club to obtain a lengthy lease at Firby Road, so they were working on a year to year basis. This was obviously not satisfactory, so, in 1967, when the tenancy of Bedale Hall Farm became available from Sir Henry Beresford-Peirse, the club moved to its present location.
In 1913 the secretary and treasurer was B W Swarbreck.
In 1947 the secretary at the Firby Road course was Lt Col G N Hill D.S.O, Crakehall, Bedale, the professional was J H Raper. The 9 hole course had a Par and SSS of 68. Course records, amateur H D Evans 65, professional J H Raper 63. Visitor’s fees, on introduction, 2/6 a round, 3/6 a day. Sunday play allowed after 1pm. Dai Rees played an exhibition match on the course in 1947, in aid of SSAFFA.
In 1966 just prior to the clubs move, the secretary was J Newton, Masham Road, Bedale. Total yardage of the course was 5,226 with a SSS of 66. Course records as 1947. Visitor’s fees on introduction, 3/6 a day, 5/- at weekend.
In 1967 the club moved to its present location at Leyburn Road.