Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Clayton West Golf Club, Huddersfield.

The club was founded in 1902.

Below is the result of a match played at Penistone Golf Club (also now defunct) on Saturday 20th May 1911.

Penistone Golf Club   Clayton West Golf Club  
T E Denison 0 J F Beardall 1
J A Winterbottom 0 F Armitage 1
T G Martin 0 H Barnicott 1
J A Wainwright 1 J Hinchcliffe 0
E Winterbottom (half) 0 W Carnelly (half) 0
H Hoyland 0 T A Given 1
A Hoyland 1 D Bell 0
H Hinchcliffe 0 G Ingham 1
R A Goddard (half) 0 A Mitchell (half) 0
W G Smith 1 F Child 0
A Winterbottom 1 F Warren 0
T Smith 1 A Ashforth 0
  5   5

Below is the result of a match played in April 1912 on the Clayton West course against Conley Valley.

Clayton West Golf Club   Conley Valley Golf Club  
F J Beardsell 1 F Fitton 0
F Armitage 1 E Poppleton 0
H Barncott 1 S Shackleton 0
T Given 0 T Milner 1
W F Carnelly 1 C Bedford 0
A M Beardsell 0 H C Sykes 1
F Child 0 A Brook 1
C E Field 1 H Hey 0
G Ingham 0 C Battye 1
A Mitchell 1 R Earnshaw 0
S R Seviour 1 Mr Wilkinson 0
W A Warran 1 A Sharrock 0
  8   4

 

The winner of the October 1913 monthly competition was T G Given, 79-13-66.

In 1914 the secretary was William A Warren. The green-keeper was T Guest. A 9-hole course situated on pleasantly undulating ground. The longest hole was about 450 yards. It was stated that "The Grass was somewhat heavy in growing months". The entry fee was £1/1/0. Subs were also £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/- a week. Sunday play was not allowed. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Station was 1 mile away.

In April 1914 the Stringer Cup competition was won by T E Gofton with a score of 1down.

In 1922 the secretary was still William A Warren, Clayton West, Huddersfield, telephone number 54. The greenkeeper was F Guest. Accommodation could be arranged by the Club Secretary.

 

Clayton West Golf Club, Huddersfield. Course location.

Above, location of the Clayton West course at the time of WW1. Grid reference SE24325,11585, co-ordinates, 424325,411585.

 

The club disappeared in the 1920s.