Blackley Golf Club, Manchester.
Founded in 1908/9 and originally located at White Moss farm, north of Boggart Hole, Clough. A 9 hole course with a motor garage and stabling attached to the clubhouse. Membership in 1908 was reported to be 180. From 1909 to1911 the secretary was G A Ford.
A qualifying round for the captain’s cup was played in November 1909, the bogey score for the course was 82, result as follows; J Wild, 85nett; H Hurst, 90nett, qualifiers. J Shepherd, 84nett took the first sweepstake and A W Pitt, 87nett the second.
The 36 hole final for the Barker Challenge Cup and Gold Medal was played on Saturday July 23rd 1911, result as follows; F T Metcalf, 191-24-167; J Affleck, 191-22-169; E B Shepherd, 183-12-171; J Southerst, 190-18-172; H Jackson, 206-26-180; J C Tait, 191-10-181; Dr Lakin, 209-20-189.
On Saturday 24th February 1912 the final of the winter competition was played. Prizes were given by Mr Blamberg and Mr Southerst. The bogey score was 78, leading scores; T Currie (won play-off), 94-17-77; T Gall, 100-23-77; W Barker, 101-17-84; H Butterworth, 109-25-84; C W Smith, 101-16-85; H Hurst, 94-8-86; R K Wermell, 109-23-86; B Barrow, 109-23-86; E B Shepherd, 94-7-87; A W Pitt, 104-16-88; A E Hanson, 103-14-89; J L Barker, 100-10-90.
In the first round of the Hiller Challenge Cup played in March 1913 the qualifiers from the first division were; J Southerst, 98-10-88; F Ashbrook, 95-6-89; second division; J Hargreaves, 107-20-87; H Jackson, 109-18-91.
The fourth round of the Barker Cup competition was played on Saturday 9th August 1913, scores as follows; first division - T R Henshaw, 91-16-75; R Ward jnr, 92-16-76; second division – W Cox, 95-23-72; S F Cook, 98-26-72; J W Reid, 97-21-76; J Downing, 108-27-81.
In the semi-final of the winter competition in February 1914 Mr C W Smith beat Mr J L Barker 6&4 and Mr P Gillespie beat Mr T O Owens 2up.
On Saturday March 7th 1914 the first round of the competition for the captain’s (Mr F T Metcalf) cup took place, result; R K Wormell, 97-15-82; R H Morris, 101-17-84; T O Owens, 93-8-85; P Gillespie, 94-9-85; T Pilkington, 88-2-86; A W Pitt, 101-14-87; J Holden, 93-5-88; A E Hanson, 98-9-89.
Below is the result of a match played at Brookdale (now defunct) in July 1926.
|W A Copper||1||J Carr||0|
|A Moore||0||C G Stevens||1|
|G Jackson||0||C Weatherilt||1|
|T Jackson||0||R Briggs||1|
|H Barratt||1||E B Shepherd||0|
|H Lee||0||W Ormrod||1|
|W C Barnes||1||F Fitzpatrick||0|
|R Taylor||0||J L Barker||1|
|A Blackburn||0||F Bowman||1|
|G A Hartley (half)||0||C Teggins (half)||0|
|C E Swales||0||E Banks||1|
|H Taylor||1||G J Irving||0|
|J Lee||0||F G Percival||1|
|G Sudren||0||J Latham||1|
The land was acquired by Manchester City Council in the 1930s and used for housing development. The original course was located between were Grange Park Road and Charlestown Road is nowadays.
Blackley Golf Club moved to their present location, several miles closer to the centre of Manchester in 1937.