Alderdale Golf Club, Clayton, Manchester.
The following is a report from the Manchester Courier & General Advertiser in June 1907. “Since the disbandment of the old Clayton Club, golf enthusiasts in Droylsden and Clayton have been unable to participate in the sport. Owing to the exertions of Mr David Dickson of Ashton New Road, the Alderdale Club has now been launched, and subscriptions amounting to over £100 have been received. Excellent links are being laid out on land off Edge Lane, the officer’s for the first year are; Dr Craig, treasurer; D Dickson, secretary; committee – Rev A Blackburne, G W Laughton, T M Beard, Whittle Barlow, Mr Gaisman, Mr Evans, C Hall, Mr Partington and S Dreyfus”
Result of the seventh monthly medal played in August 1913; C E Woodhead, 96-24-72; W J Sproull, 97-22-76; H Sproull, 97-21-76; F R Horsfall, 95-18-77; W Stanfield, 85-6-79; J Frith, 103-24-79.
The result of the captain’s, Mr J Partington, foursome prize played in May 1914; winners - Mrs Hewlett and C E Woodhead, 83; runners-up – Miss Jarvis and Harold Sproull, 86. In the final of the gents’ competition Harold Sproull beat W Stanfield on the 21st green.
In July 1915 the Alderdale Golf Club secretary, Mr T H Hewlett, made a contribution of ten shillings on behalf of the club for “A day in a Park” a treat for thousands of children to be held in Platt Fields, Rusholme, in July and August 1915.